2004 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
10 year review
By whitetacoma04 on 04/29/14 18:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Got my Taco in 2005 w/ 12k miles while visiting O.C CA. I consider it my first-born child. It has 50,200 on it now, and a set of spark plugs are the only thing I`ve put into it besides oil/lube changes. Timing belt this year due to age only. Has plenty of power for what you put in bed, small trailer. 26 mpg is about the best I can get on highway due to lack of cruz and the fact it drives out good around 75mph. My neighbor drives a 1996 base model @ work that has 550k last I saw. It`s on clutch #3, the u-joints in the steering & driveshaft are the other replaced items. Oil still needs no checking between 5k changes. If you maintain your Yota you can count on them for a good, long time. Word

Tremendous Vehicle
By dennis_rhodes on 05/18/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought me a brand new 2004 Toyota Tacoma regular cab extended cab when i graduated high school, that was now 9 years ago and this thing is still running, i have 335078 miles on it and it still feels like it did the day i came home and saw it in the drive way. i have only had to change the oil and rotate the tires, i have had no mechanical or any other problems for that matter. I LOVE THIS TRUCK

278,000 miles and counting
By gene_neill on 10/20/12 12:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Prerunner new in 2004. My previous truck was an F-250, so it was tough to give up the size, and the big V8 engine - in fact I still miss those things. But this truck just keeps on and keeps on and KEEPS ON, so I just can't complain anymore. In all these miles, I have done pretty much NOTHING except change the oil, and whatnot. The only thing that has ever broken was the power steering pump, somewhere around 150K miles. I plan to continue driving this as my main (and only) work and personal vehicle at least until it hits 350,000. I see no reason to believe that will be a problem.

Best truck...EVER!Bou
By sierratoy on 04/22/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 4X4 TRD December 03. 2004 was last year of the compact size. Didn't want the larger midsize 05 model. Extremely durable and reliable. Off road capabilities are superb. It also cruises very well on the highway. Excellent in snow...deep snow. Only regular scheduled maintenance required.These trucks are the best EVER.

I can't believe how bad the gas mileage is on this truck.
By nycbugkiller on 12/09/10 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 78,000 miles used in 2008. I have to say it is very reliable and it starts every time I try and fire it up. Of course it bounces all over the road like a typical small size truck does on bumpy roads. I just bought new Monroe shocks and struts that have to be installed. I'll see if that changes the ride. Regardless, when I first got it I was getting 16mpg. Don't ask what happened but I am at 142,000 miles and for some strange reason, I am now getting like 13. I have changed the spark plus, got a new air filter, new tires, I keep the air in the tires at the right poundage and I still can't understand it. And it's a 4 cylinder.

Love This Truck!
By J Love on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my truck in late 2003, and it just turned 100,000 mile last week. It has not needed anything other than normal maintenance (brakes need to be replaced, tires too). The worst thing is that the accelerator squeaks. I travel about 30 miles to and from work daily and it gives me a comfortable ride. The V6 helps passing the big trucks (I am glad I did not get the 4 cylinder). This is a great truck! I hope my next Toyota is just as reliable (whenever that happens).

UGH!
By J Williams on 08/27/10 22:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I ended up with this garbage since I had to sell my toys, get a family vehicle for my wife and I got her scraps of a truck. I commute 72 mi each way during the week and I thought this would be decent on fuel but with lack of power I'm constantly using the O/D feature just to keep up with the diesel trucks on the freeway! I've been very good to this truck and has failed miserably at keeping me even close to happy. Best vehicle to consider if; short commutes, small hauling, and your a midget 4' or less.

Worst truck ever owned
By Al on 08/14/10 09:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Having owned a Dodge Ram, and a Dodge Ram Wagon, which I thought were terrible, this Toyota beat them both out. The Dodges were comfortable to drive, but not too reliable. The Toyota is incredibly uncomfortable on even just a short drive. The Toyota has left me stranded 6 times in 2 years. I have owned VWs before and they were 10 times more reliable than this Toyota. No more Toyota garbage for me!

Owner/operator
By l1nda on 06/20/10 11:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Replaced 5 sets of front brake rotors, replaced ball joints within 2 years of ownership, within 2 years of purchase had to start replacing exhaust system 3 times, replace rear shocks after 3 years of purchase date, brought Tacoma to dealer with frame rust in 2008 nothing was done, another recall came up in 2010 now the frame is completely rotted out and getting the run around from the Toyota company. Want to put new frame underneath vehicle with all rusted hardware this means taking the entire vehicle apart who knows how it will run after that. Want Toyota to buy back vehicle but they refuse to will fight to the end. I am done with toyotas. Drove this vehicle with rot on frame for two years

This will be my last Toyota
By Dissapointed on 06/11/10 08:16 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Actually this was my first Toyota ever. It will also be my last. This thing is as unreliable as can be. It leaves you stranded randomly and then it runs great for a few days again. The problems started shortly after the 60,000 mile mark, and to no surprise the drivetrain warranty expired at 60,000 miles. This is my last Asian vehicle ever (Had a Honda Accord years ago and it was a money pit).