Selling after 2-years
By JIMnPHX on
2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
First Toyota I've ever owned. Was sick of my Ford Explorer and my Jeep with all the maintenance issues. Consumer Reports shows great reliability numbers so I purchased it. Over the two years I've not had one problem with the truck. I average 17 mpg. We've taken a couple long trips and the two kids (11 & 9) were very comfortable in the rear seats. However I did not enjoy the drivers seat on long trips. My right foot got cramped due to the angle I had to keep by foot at. I am 6-ft 1-in and just never felt at home in the seats. My wife is 5-8 and has no problems. We towed a pop-up camper at 70 mph and got 15.25 over 1200 mile trip thru the mountains of Az and Utah. 20 mpg on other trips.
Favorite Features
Not having to go in for repairs. Gas mileage. Height of a 4x4 but without the cost. Liked the TRD package and the electric locking rear diff. Can go off road like 4x4 and not worry about smashing the underside due to low clearence.
Suggested Improvements
Clock is poorly located. Put electric seats with better adjustment range for taller drivers. Truck does no give you a great sense of stability on the road at high speeds due to narrow wheel base. I've had this truck on 2-wheels, almost tipped over on winter road at 20mph by just hitting the brakes!