Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

The Competiton is Not an Option
By OffRdWarrior

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

Favorite Features

No cheap (Nissan)looking plastic bumpers.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel option. Better seats.

Fun to drive
By F014tomcat

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

7,000 miles on it with only one minor problem. A hose to the coolant came loose, and I lost the cooant, but they fixed it. TRD package is great. Off roading is a breeze with the locking differential. Average mpg is 16-17.5, not great. Clock is in horrible position. Interior does look a bit cheap. I too have a rattle, that I cannot find. A little pricey, but so far worth the money. I love driving it.

Favorite Features

Exterior look, TRD package, power and torque, ride hight.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality materials inside.

2003 Tacoma
By fixandrepair

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

Favorite Features

IT's a TOYOTA

Suggested Improvements

US factory built should have same quality as "built in Japan" Need clock standard in Radio.

Wonderful small truck
By JimiDGreek

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

Favorite Features

A/C is great. Dash layout is just fine. Stereo play nice. Plenty of cup holders and places to store stuff.

Suggested Improvements

Make clock and intermittent wipers standard. Better seats would be nice too.

TACOMA 4WD 2.7L 5 SPEED
By KEEP-ON-TRUCKIN'

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Toyota 4wd pickup, and I bought one about a year ago. It took me a while to get used to the 2.7L engine and the 5sp. But I was used to high reving engines, and this one almost runs like a diesel. Keep the revs low and change gears early, and she runs great. This is definitely a truck engine. You can feel the torque on the low end. I had an old Mazda B2000 and Nissan Frontier, and liked them both. But they would bottom out if I carried a heavy load. Not this baby! The Tacoma is made for haulin'! But don't get the 4 cyl if you're always in a hurry. It has plenty of power to haul and tow, but its not a race engine. MPG: 21-22

Favorite Features

Toyota quality. Lots of torque, strong suspension. And of course, the looks--Best looking 4WD truck out there, bar none.

Suggested Improvements

Update the engine options to increase horsepower and MPG, but not lose the torque. (Both the 4 and 6 cyl engines are over 10 years old). Offer a crew cab with long bed and manual transmission.