2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Perfect
By Tim in Minnesota on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Can you spell P-E-R-F-E-C-T? After having experience with other manufacturers for years, I finally stepped up and bought a Toyota. Not one problem, perfect. If you want a great little truck, buy a Toyota. If you want to continue to be disappointed buy something else. It's your money!

The Perfect Truck
By Rl Bickley on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

It has been an all around great truck. It is wonderful on the gas mileage, and since my previous truck was a Tahoe, that means a lot. Also, it has near perfect build quality that I have never seen in a truck before. I would give this truck with the TRD pkg a serious look.

Fast but Noisy
By B dubs on 03/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is fun to drive and looks good too. My only major complaint is the wind noise and rattles that have developed since I bought the truck. Something is always rattling and every day it is in a new place! When I drive at 45 miles/hour, a constant whirring sound (wind noise) can be heard that is very annoying [unless you turn up the radio :) ]. Other than that, a fine all around truck. 4000 miles and no mechanical problems yet.

Fun!
By taco fan on 03/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck, only had it a week already impressed with the torgue it can produce. Enjoy driving it alot, very comfy bucket seats. Solid transmission, quality.

Don't have the feeling
By jprice on 03/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my third toyota vehicle. For the first time I am concerned about the level of quality. What I am concerned about now were not apparent when I purchased the vehicle. However, now I notice the drivers side door panel doesn't fit flush with the side of vehicle, the temperature gauge sticks after an evening of subzero tempretures. Finally, the frontend makes uncomfortable noises when turning hard left or right when in four wheel drive. I am left hoping I can get many years of trouble free operation as I have experienced with my past toyotas.

Where do you put your legs?
By ChipD on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a commuter vehicle. The test drive was great. But.. After I purchased it, and was stuck in traffic, the lack of legroom, and support in the seat quickly went from discomfort to severe pain. I'm only 6'2" but I just don't fit. First time this has ever happened to me in any vehicle. Even my daughter's Geo has more comfortable seats.

Srunner Rocks
By Srunner on 02/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

What a great truck. The Handling is super and the engine is great. The V6 with 3100 pounds can really make this truck move. So far I've clocked over 27K miles and no problems... haven't visited the dealer other than oil changes.

Great Ride, Poor MPG
By rsl on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Almost new, but mileage far below sticker numbers. Ride is solid and comfortable (with exceptions below). No squeaks, rattles or wind noise. Exterior styling second to none, interior style flawed. Clock positioned so you have to lean forward to see it through steering wheel, and console so far back that it's not accessible while driving. Seat back is poorly designed for me (6'2"), but might improve with time. Driver's seat won't slide forward like the passenger seat for rear access. Engine performs well, but if you try to drive faster than a little old lady you can almost here it drinking gas. The anti-lock brakes are excellent on wet pavement.

2002 Tacoma
By marc golden on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Traded in my 95 F-150 4x4 for this truck and that was the worst mistake I ever made... Within in the first 2000 miles I had that great dash rattle, door panel loose and other annoying sounds coming from the interior. Had the rear brakes replaced at 3000 miles b/c I was getting a vibration through the steering wheel. The truck is terrible when there is any kind of wind blowing, feels like your gonna be blown off the road. This is also one of the worst trucks I have ever driven in the snow. First and last

Fun but noisy
By Mr Cheap on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned the Tacoma for less than a week. Excellent design and quality. I had a Mazada B3000 4x4 V6 for less than 4 weeks, until the dealer could install A/C. No comparison... a rebranded Ford Ranger... The Tacoma is powerful, fun to drive, great traction in 4x4, but noisy. I know Toyota has great NVH engineering (my other car is a Lexus), but not enough was invested in this vehicle.