2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
By billu on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After comparing all trucks in this class the Toyota by far offers the most for your money. I own a 4-runner with a 3.0 and it has trouble with mountian roads. This Tacoma powers up the hills with no problem. Ride and handling is about the same as other trucks with an off road package.

Why didn't I trade in earlier
By rivka on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had my tacoma for about eight months and let me tell you, it was nothing but trouble. I was at the dealer at least once a month to fix stuff. mostly the power window kept falling off the track and wouldn't go up. also other annoying stuff-the brakes and rotors needed changing after 11000 miles, the transmission shifted roughly, and the worst part was that the dealer didn't seem to know what they were doing. I finally gave up and traded it in for a dodge 1500. so far so good.

My 02 Tacoma 4x4
By Mike in AZ. on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

A great all around truck.The 4x4 with TRD package works great off road.High ground clearence,with skid plates protecting vital organs.The locking rear differential works great.The V6 has plenty of power,but sucks a little moore gas than I thought it would.A bit pricey.I think I payed to much for mine.If you think you can get a good deal on one,get it. don't hesitate.

Great Truck!!
By Tom K on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Toyota. What a pleasure to drive! Absolutely smooth as silk. Solid ride but very comfortable and rattle free. I love everything about it!

Good Solid Truck
By polar bear on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this truck this summer and thus far I'm very happy with it. Solid, reliable and well engineered truck. For my purposes, the 2.4 litre engine is just fine. I've used it to haul lumber and other loads of junk to the dump. Gas mileage has been consistently at 23 mpg in city driving. Haven't taken any highway trips yet. Highly recommend this truck.

Keeper
By Pete in Alabama on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Previous vehicle was an 89 Toyota pickup. Hoping the new Tacoma will be as reliable. After 3 or 4 hours on the road, the firm seats get slightly uncomfortable and 19MPG is lower than I'm used to but it was expected. The ride (on and off road) is great even with the TRD package. Acceleration is OK. Recommend DrawTie hitch receiver and Line-X bed liner. Have towed light loads so far with no problems. Hope to enjoy it for 10+ years.

Hard Ride
By Joe Zebar on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I drove a 1990 Toyota SR for 10 years & my son is still driving it at 201,000 Mi. I never thought that it had a stiff ride. My 2002 tocoma with the off road package rides very hard and stiff. You will feel every bump in a jarring manner. This is the only complaint I have. The V6 is a little weak at 190HP but provides adequate acceleration. The front seats could be a little longer for more leg support. Fit & finish is excellent. Basicly satisfied with the truck. Ps No recalls & have not been back to the dealer for anything.

excitement
By Supralover on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Very very versatile whether offroading, moving big objects or just to have fun i think it's the best reliable truck on the market today

Another Toyota truck for me
By thrower on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I just sold a 1991 Toyota truck. I was the original owner. With 200,000 miles on it, it was still running great, but it didn't have enough cab room for me, my wife and our dog. So I got the Extended cab, SR5 stepside. The V6 is powerful and quiet. Steering is responsive and tight. The truck has the off-road suspension and it seems to help reduce speed bumps, etc. Toyota hasn't lost the touch. It's a great truck.

eighties flashback
By Dollar on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Its hard for all of us to believe the price they get for Toyota Tacomas. While relaible ,they are some of the lowest quality interiors next to Kia,s. The small back window,cheap plastic bits and door panels a 5 year old could rip to shreds.Tiny,tinny,and dated comes to mind .I can,t wait till the New Titan by Nissan comes out so I can flog this truck to them .Toyota better update soon ,people are getting on to them .