Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love it
By love it

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Tacoma! Thinking now of selling in order to get better fuel economy (steady 20 mpg now) great, reliable vehicle - only negatives are placement of the clock (behind the steering wheel basically) and interior picked up scratches on plastic too easily. Wish gas mileage was better and I could keep it!

Favorite Features

Reliable, functional, good looking

Suggested Improvements

Clock placement, durable interior plastic

Great Truck just getting broken in
By jeff s

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built and good looking truck. I am a bit of a neat freak but i do still get comments 7 years later on how good this truck looks. The paint, body and style has held up really well. 2 minor recalls, it has never failed. I have the TRD off road, its a bit bumpy but that's what you pay for!

Gotta love your toyota
By akgrowntoyotagal

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle and gets great mileage for a truck. Toyotas will last forever. 4-door cab is great. My cab has more rear seat leg room than my boyfriend's big Dodge diesel truck. Not happy with lack of interior storage space. I bought a snugtop supersport truck shell to take care of that problem. Shell looks great on the truck. Little spendy, but worth it. Worried about the automatic transmission - getting a strange clunk sound when I am comming to a stop or when I first start accelerating. The fan power of the air system could have more power.

Favorite Features

On the fly push button 4-wheel drive. 4 doors on a toyota tacoma. Radio, cd and tape player - I like to be able to listen to any format of tunes. Good gas mileage - about 20mpg. Like all the power ports available. Like the extendable part on the sun visor. As a stock truck it is great off road

Suggested Improvements

Needs more interior storage space. Could do something under the rear seats, what's under there anyway? Why not have a telescoping steering wheel? Paint bubbling and chipping at bottoms of rear doors. Option for Bose sound system - they sound awesome! Change parking brake handle - kinda flimsy.

I cant see myself not Owning one from now on
By sevamg

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Its the most flexible, useful and maintenance free vehicle I ever owned, I bought it with about 55k miles in 2008, it now has over 125k and purrs. Replaced timing belt at 100k, The way its running i think I could get another 100K. It was well worth the money.

Favorite Features

Double Cab, High ground clearance, V6 engine has plenty of Power with decent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Stupidest most annoying Clock location I ever seen in a vehicle. I hope it was fixed on later models.

I LOVE my Taco
By tacofans

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I loaded it up 1100 lbs. of bricks, stones, and playsand, and it hummed along with no complaints. I love the V6. In town gas mileage is great, between 19-20 mpg. Highway within the 20-22 mpg range. Best tank was 21.85 mpg with 80% hwy, 20% in-town. Just keep the speed below 69 mph for better gas mileage (but I did go 75-80 mph from time to time). Ride is not bad at all for a truck although I would change the factory tires when they wear out for better traction.

Favorite Features

Compact footprint and yet with room for my family of 4. I chose to buy this last generation of compact taco instead of the newer midsize ones. Ultra reliable. A little truck that can do.

Suggested Improvements

The clock. Cruise control kept gear-hunting on inclines but I don't use it often.