Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tacomas are a great little truck
By Joy Orton

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

These little Toyota 4X4s with a V6 are powerful fun little trucks to drive. They are reliable and frugal on gas. I only have two complaints. #1 They have a LOUSY turning radius. (I think Toyata did this to lower the rollover chance as the vehicle is slightly topheavy and thin... I like the metrics just not having them protect me.) #2 They don't have sufficient leg room for big people. My future wife and I are both over 6' I am longer in the torso and she longer in the legs. She cannot even fit her legs with the seats all the way back. This might not be as bad in the non King cab versions.

Favorite Features

The power to weight ratio and the narrowness of the chassis to fit in between things when four wheeling.

Suggested Improvements

Increase tuning radius and increase leg room... (Knees)

Great Truck, 10 years till my next one!
By Jeff Miles

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking. And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!

It Gets 'er Done
By barney

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

All things considered, it's an excellent vehicle. All I've had to do is the regular maintenance. I've had no downtime whatsoever (well, except for the one recall but the dealer took care of it and gave me a free loaner). It pulled a U-Haul on my move from Missouri to California with no problem. It drives like a car. Plenty of power with the V6. The steering and the engine are very responsive which is a plus on the California freeways.

Favorite Features

There's plenty of room in the back seat, even when the front seats are all the way back. Again, it's been 100% dependable, a big plus for me.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic support on the driver's seat has cracked. Sometimes the seat belt gets stuck in the crack, which is rather annoying. The interior is a bit rudimentary, but it was upgraded for the 2004 model year. However, I prefer the body style of the 2003.

Tacoma review
By jhartt

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very practical vehicle for light efficient use and is extremely reliable.

Favorite Features

I love the fact that I get a lot for my money and the reliability is great.

Suggested Improvements

Continue to offer the option of manually enguaged four wheel drive.

Love this truck
By pixieplc

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck because I was moving out west and wanted something to get me through any kind of conditions. Driven cross country several times with no problems at all. Very reliable and stylish, I get compliments on it all the time. I was worried the cost was too high but I haven't regretted it for a minute since my purchase. I will drive this truck til the wheels fall off!

Favorite Features

CD player and stock stereo system are both very nice

Suggested Improvements

Back seats are not comfortable at all and a temperature and compass feature would be nice.