2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
TACOMA 4WD 2.7L 5 SPEED
By KEEP-ON-TRUCKIN' on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've always wanted a Toyota 4wd pickup, and I bought one about a year ago. It took me a while to get used to the 2.7L engine and the 5sp. But I was used to high reving engines, and this one almost runs like a diesel. Keep the revs low and change gears early, and she runs great. This is definitely a truck engine. You can feel the torque on the low end. I had an old Mazda B2000 and Nissan Frontier, and liked them both. But they would bottom out if I carried a heavy load. Not this baby! The Tacoma is made for haulin'! But don't get the 4 cyl if you're always in a hurry. It has plenty of power to haul and tow, but its not a race engine. MPG: 21-22

Good Truck with a Thirsty Engine
By road2cycle on 06/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Pros: No mechanical problems so far Stylish exterior Comfortable seats Sufficient interior storage Engine has sufficient power Radio, AC, Heater controls in easy to reach locations Deep cupholders Great view of the road Cons: Gets blown around in crosswinds Poor gas mileage (17mpg - 60% highway and 40% city) Rough ride on bumpy roads Clock is in a bad location Gear shift rattles on bumpy roads Baby seat doesn't fit in rear Pillar and headrest block view over left shoulder (driver)

QUALITY TRUCK
By MATERV on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

VERY RELIABLE VEHICLE ON AND OFF THE ROAD. MY TACOMA HAS ONLY THE TRD OPTION AND IT DRIVES OFF-ROAD LIKE A FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE, BUT IT IS NOT. I WOULD RECOMMEND THE PRERUNNER, FOR IT'S HEIGHT AND EXTERIOR LOOKS.

Truck lover
By toyotafan11 on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I owned a 1986 standard bed Toyota 4x4 4cyl. 5sp for 9 years and had 125,000 miles on it before it was totaled. After that I purchased a 1995 Corrola which had 330,000 miles before tading it in on this 2003 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab, V6, 5 sp. I hope to enjoy this Toyata as much as the other 2. I loved the 86 truck and wanted to own another truck. I would only purchase Toyota because of its dependability. I purchased the truck Nov. 2003 and enjoy it except for the gas mileage.

looking good
By jimml on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Engine and performance better than my old Ford 150 V-8. Better everything, and reliability is why I bought this truck, as well as the fact that it is the best looking compact out there. Good to know it can tow up to 5000 lbs. when I'll need it this summer. Couldn't find the clock for the first few days - placed in awkward place. Interior could use an upgrade.

perfect truck
By shawnwat on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD 3.4L V-6 5 speed is a wonderful truck. It performs great in 4 wheel drive, from the snow to the beach to mud trails. Its 190 hp has more than enough zip to it. I plan on having this truck for a long time.

S-Runner Tacoma
By S-RunnerPete on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The S-Runner is a truck that is difficult to acquire. It took me almost a year to finally get mine. Speaking with other S-Runner owners on- line, they've had similar experiences. This truck is a real blast to drive, with it's 190 horsepower 24 valve V-6. Front and rear sway bars, Tekico gas shocks, and 5-spead transmission, make this truck a "real sleeper". Fuel mileage isn't bad for all the performance one gets in this S-Runner package. I personally have gotten 26 mpg on a trip. The reliability is typical Toyota, and that's a good thing. I am very happy with this truck.

A Good Recomendation
By glade 007 on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use this truck for everday use. This includes towing, hauling, and some off- road use. The truck has performed nicely with no problems.

Great Small Truck
By Pilgrim on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For a small truck this is really comfortable to drive and easy to get into for large people. Your passengers are comfortable and at ease while riding in this truck.

A Real Truck!!!
By ex-18- wheeler on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have the TRD package, stock, except added a grille guard. Took it up Horsethief Canyon Trail at Lake Mead Rec. area last Sat..Kept it in H-4 the whole time.(Jeez, when do you use L- 4???) Only 'lifted' Rubicon jeeps could handle this trail, except for my taco. Larger 4x4's have to stick to civilized off-roads.