Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Taco Review
By Harry Nonnemacher

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding vehicle, overall good quality, very user friendly. 21 MPG average with a v6 5 speed. Excellent safety features as well. Plenty of power, very responsive acceleration. Overall good price. A good looking "beefy" truck!

Auto 4wd, airbags, rear differential lock. Vehicle Intrusion Detection.

The suspension is a little softer than the previous year Toyota, When they offer the off-road package the should put light bars and roll bars on it.

Finally Got It!!!
By Troy

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a Tacoma, unfortunately I could never afford one until now. I started out about 3 years ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger. While this is a decent truck to start out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So when I finally decided that I could afford one I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed 4WD extended cab. It has loads more power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as plenty of torque. While it is not a race engine, it still has plenty of power for what I need to do. I couldn't see wasting my money on a Hemi just to accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The 4WD is superior to any other brand of truck, way better than the ranger.

The 4WD is amazing, and yes a 4 cylinder can pull a Hemi out of a ditch when it gets stuck(I live in Ky it gets quite muddy and wet in the winter) and look good doing it. Plenty of ground clearance, cheaper then a New Dakota. Legendary Toyota reliability

Put the dang clock somewhere else. My steering wheel blocks it and I have to look around it to see it. I am not sure if they have fixed this on the 05 model yet. No other major improvements, it is a great truck!!! I will buy another when the time comes.

nice truck/unconfortable pedals too high
By Azael

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

pedals too high make a little unconfortable to drive,other than that is good truck(trusted "toyota" owner)

bigger tires/bigger engine/higher clearance from floor

pedals needs to be lower(for people with long legs,like me)

The Competiton is Not an Option
By OffRdWarrior

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

No cheap (Nissan)looking plastic bumpers.

Diesel option. Better seats.

Fun to drive
By F014tomcat

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

7,000 miles on it with only one minor problem. A hose to the coolant came loose, and I lost the cooant, but they fixed it. TRD package is great. Off roading is a breeze with the locking differential. Average mpg is 16-17.5, not great. Clock is in horrible position. Interior does look a bit cheap. I too have a rattle, that I cannot find. A little pricey, but so far worth the money. I love driving it.

Exterior look, TRD package, power and torque, ride hight.

Better quality materials inside.