2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Good combination of features
By maxwellhammer on 04/08/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.4L automatic, extended cab 2WD SR5. So far, I'm getting 25 mpg. The smallest engine available, but has perfectly adequate power. This is the first year for standard ABS, which was a hard to find option. I searched forever for these features in a used truck, really glad I found it. I hear the '05 and newer Tacomas don't have as good build quality, they're larger and don't offer the 2.4L. If you're looking for great reliability and mileage, I'd get an '03 or '04.

Great Truck, 10 years till my next one!
By Jeff Miles on 11/21/07 09:44 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking. And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!

Tacoma review
By jhartt on 09/01/07 20:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very practical vehicle for light efficient use and is extremely reliable.

Love this truck
By pixieplc on 01/24/07 12:12 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck because I was moving out west and wanted something to get me through any kind of conditions. Driven cross country several times with no problems at all. Very reliable and stylish, I get compliments on it all the time. I was worried the cost was too high but I haven't regretted it for a minute since my purchase. I will drive this truck til the wheels fall off!

You'll love this truck
By Dennis on 07/16/06 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

You'll love this truck! I had always wanted a tacoma and this truck exceeded my expectations. I've used it for hauling loads to the dump and hauling feed with no problem. Clean it up and it's perfect for cruising around town. "The chicks dig it!"

Taco Review
By Harry Nonnemacher on 04/13/05 04:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding vehicle, overall good quality, very user friendly. 21 MPG average with a v6 5 speed. Excellent safety features as well. Plenty of power, very responsive acceleration. Overall good price. A good looking "beefy" truck!

Finally Got It!!!
By Troy on 12/12/04 17:16 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had always wanted a Tacoma, unfortunately I could never afford one until now. I started out about 3 years ago with my first Truck a 1999 Ranger. While this is a decent truck to start out with, I still wanted my Tacoma. So when I finally decided that I could afford one I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2003 2.7L 5-Speed 4WD extended cab. It has loads more power then my Ranger(2.5L) as well as plenty of torque. While it is not a race engine, it still has plenty of power for what I need to do. I couldn't see wasting my money on a Hemi just to accelerate faster and get 8-10 MPG. The 4WD is superior to any other brand of truck, way better than the ranger.

nice truck/unconfortable pedals too high
By Azael on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

pedals too high make a little unconfortable to drive,other than that is good truck(trusted "toyota" owner)

The Competiton is Not an Option
By OffRdWarrior on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

Fun to drive
By F014tomcat on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

7,000 miles on it with only one minor problem. A hose to the coolant came loose, and I lost the cooant, but they fixed it. TRD package is great. Off roading is a breeze with the locking differential. Average mpg is 16-17.5, not great. Clock is in horrible position. Interior does look a bit cheap. I too have a rattle, that I cannot find. A little pricey, but so far worth the money. I love driving it.