Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Can't Be Stopped by Snow, Rain, Mud or Rough Roads
By DANIEL

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck for light hauling, fishing off the beach and traveling off road. Excellent ride on street travel. Five speed transmission is smooth and useful with its 4x4 gear box. Except for routine maintenance, no repairs had to be made. Jump seat in extra-cab with storage, rear window slider and rear side windows that push out on an angle.

The Best little truck I ever own (so Far)
By Trey

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the truck used back in the day with less than 80K on it. It now has over 156k and only replaced the brake pads. I have overloaded this truck many times and even pulled trailers with a F250 on the back. This little truck does it all. I have the TRD package and it goes where ever you want it to go.

Good combination of features
By maxwellhammer

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.4L automatic, extended cab 2WD SR5. So far, I'm getting 25 mpg. The smallest engine available, but has perfectly adequate power. This is the first year for standard ABS, which was a hard to find option. I searched forever for these features in a used truck, really glad I found it. I hear the '05 and newer Tacomas don't have as good build quality, they're larger and don't offer the 2.4L. If you're looking for great reliability and mileage, I'd get an '03 or '04.

Extended cab. No extra interior room without it, but you still get a 6 foot bed with it, unlike the 4 door. Nobody will ever ride back there, but it's good inside space to put a few groceries, etc.

Hard to find luxury options on Tacomas. Sun roof, Power locks & mirrors, and power heated leather bucket seats with lumbar adjustment as found in my '99 Avalon would be great.

Great Truck, 10 years till my next one!
By Jeff Miles

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have to be honest that this is the best truck that I have ever owned. It does great on gas. I never have any problem with it. I use it for hauling, loading kayaks, mountain biking. And driving all over the country. In 5 years I have put 100,000 miles on it with no problem. I plan to put another 150,000 miles on it. I just keep the oil changed brakes and tires every two years and she runs like a champ. Great looking truck to. Next time though I think I am going to buy the v6. Better for towing my motorcycle!!

Tacoma review
By jhartt

2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very practical vehicle for light efficient use and is extremely reliable.

I love the fact that I get a lot for my money and the reliability is great.

Continue to offer the option of manually enguaged four wheel drive.