Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I'll always buy Toyota.
By Americayay

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is great. It drives fairly smoothly. Maintenance is practically zero. I've had no real problems that weren't self inflicted. The prerunner handles very well. Very high up.

Suggested Improvements

The cab is SO small. I love this truck, but a little more leg room would be great. The extended cab was too expensive. Long distances are not a lot of fun. The tire changing equipment that came with the truck looks like thrift store junk. The jack is way too short. Not good when stranded.

My 2 cents
By 4x4

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Just trying to help all that are looking into purchasing a Tacoma. This truck is good over all, yes it does have its minor flaws in the design and seems to have common problems with all us owners. It works good for me since I am single and do quite a bit of hauling and driving. The gas mileage is good on highways but poor in town, the rattles that everyone is having, I too have up around the dash. The outside noise comes from the way the wind wraps around the side of the cab and not the rear wall. I still love this truck because it is reliable and is worth almost what I paid for it. One thing I hate is when I am braking and hit a bump, the anti-lock kicks in and causes me to slide a bit.

Favorite Features

4x4, good traction, easy to use (nothing is hidden) and is an all around good truck. Extremely bright headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Since the truck has been redesigned, theres not much point in elaborating on improvements, however the clock location is bad on this truck.

Great Truck
By yurets

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Love my truck. Looks good and drives great. Hauls trailers and whatever else needed.

Favorite Features

Excellent Driving

Suggested Improvements

Improve HP and mileage

Originally a Chevy guy
By aspry

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd buy anything "foreign" but I'm glad I did. This is one great truck and can actually be used like one.

Favorite Features

The truck has a four wheel drive shift lever instead of a cheap push button deal. (Sorry Chevy)

Suggested Improvements

Gee I really can't think of anything I'm not satisfied with. Just a great truck.

enjoyed my 1995 tacoma more
By bslashbar

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third toyota, I doubt I will be buying another Tacoma because I don't believe the quality is the same as the 1995 model I had. Got nearly 300K on it and I can only hope this one will give me half as good of service. Fuel mileage and power are both lacking in my 03 (avg 18 mpg) and the comfort, noise level and interior design seems to be lacking quite a bit. Have had some trouble geeting std trans to shift into reverse several times and had to move forward in order to get into reverse. Cup holders are really of no use as they are in the way and will not hold cups very well.

Favorite Features

Like the new body design stereo is pretty good also like the auto locking hubs

Suggested Improvements

Move cup holders, carpet back wall, need better fuel mileage