2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I'll always buy Toyota.
By Americayay on 03/15/08 01:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.

My 2 cents
By 4x4 on 03/20/06 08:07 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Just trying to help all that are looking into purchasing a Tacoma. This truck is good over all, yes it does have its minor flaws in the design and seems to have common problems with all us owners. It works good for me since I am single and do quite a bit of hauling and driving. The gas mileage is good on highways but poor in town, the rattles that everyone is having, I too have up around the dash. The outside noise comes from the way the wind wraps around the side of the cab and not the rear wall. I still love this truck because it is reliable and is worth almost what I paid for it. One thing I hate is when I am braking and hit a bump, the anti-lock kicks in and causes me to slide a bit.

Great Truck
By yurets on 03/09/06 15:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Love my truck. Looks good and drives great. Hauls trailers and whatever else needed.

Originally a Chevy guy
By aspry on 12/13/05 21:53 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd buy anything "foreign" but I'm glad I did. This is one great truck and can actually be used like one.

enjoyed my 1995 tacoma more
By bslashbar on 12/13/05 14:52 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third toyota, I doubt I will be buying another Tacoma because I don't believe the quality is the same as the 1995 model I had. Got nearly 300K on it and I can only hope this one will give me half as good of service. Fuel mileage and power are both lacking in my 03 (avg 18 mpg) and the comfort, noise level and interior design seems to be lacking quite a bit. Have had some trouble geeting std trans to shift into reverse several times and had to move forward in order to get into reverse. Cup holders are really of no use as they are in the way and will not hold cups very well.

The little engine that could
By ren on 03/03/05 21:47 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

long time toyota owner
By altoona on 10/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

2003 Tacoma
By fixandrepair on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

Wonderful small truck
By JimiDGreek on 07/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

Good Basic Truck
By ToyotaTom on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I like it. However it is not for tall folks. I am 6'4" should have bought an exta cab.