Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck just getting broken in
By jeff s

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built and good looking truck. I am a bit of a neat freak but i do still get comments 7 years later on how good this truck looks. The paint, body and style has held up really well. 2 minor recalls, it has never failed. I have the TRD off road, its a bit bumpy but that's what you pay for!

Tacomas are a great little truck
By Joy Orton

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

These little Toyota 4X4s with a V6 are powerful fun little trucks to drive. They are reliable and frugal on gas. I only have two complaints. #1 They have a LOUSY turning radius. (I think Toyata did this to lower the rollover chance as the vehicle is slightly topheavy and thin... I like the metrics just not having them protect me.) #2 They don't have sufficient leg room for big people. My future wife and I are both over 6' I am longer in the torso and she longer in the legs. She cannot even fit her legs with the seats all the way back. This might not be as bad in the non King cab versions.

The power to weight ratio and the narrowness of the chassis to fit in between things when four wheeling.

Increase tuning radius and increase leg room... (Knees)

It Gets 'er Done
By barney

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

All things considered, it's an excellent vehicle. All I've had to do is the regular maintenance. I've had no downtime whatsoever (well, except for the one recall but the dealer took care of it and gave me a free loaner). It pulled a U-Haul on my move from Missouri to California with no problem. It drives like a car. Plenty of power with the V6. The steering and the engine are very responsive which is a plus on the California freeways.

There's plenty of room in the back seat, even when the front seats are all the way back. Again, it's been 100% dependable, a big plus for me.

The plastic support on the driver's seat has cracked. Sometimes the seat belt gets stuck in the crack, which is rather annoying. The interior is a bit rudimentary, but it was upgraded for the 2004 model year. However, I prefer the body style of the 2003.

Excellent truck
By Joey

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is an awesome truck and very stylish. My truck the 4 door, "limited", leather, TRD, 4WD, and the color is metallic black, with black luggage rack and black nerf bars... all stock. I get so many compliments on this vehicle - even though the body style is smaller than the new Tacomas that are out at the dealerships today. To me, this is the perfect size truck for off-road and run around the town.

SIZE

The 4WD model doesn't seem to sit as high as the "Pre-Runner". I wish the truck had about a 2" lift on it.

Gotta love your toyota
By akgrowntoyotagal

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle and gets great mileage for a truck. Toyotas will last forever. 4-door cab is great. My cab has more rear seat leg room than my boyfriend's big Dodge diesel truck. Not happy with lack of interior storage space. I bought a snugtop supersport truck shell to take care of that problem. Shell looks great on the truck. Little spendy, but worth it. Worried about the automatic transmission - getting a strange clunk sound when I am comming to a stop or when I first start accelerating. The fan power of the air system could have more power.

On the fly push button 4-wheel drive. 4 doors on a toyota tacoma. Radio, cd and tape player - I like to be able to listen to any format of tunes. Good gas mileage - about 20mpg. Like all the power ports available. Like the extendable part on the sun visor. As a stock truck it is great off road

Needs more interior storage space. Could do something under the rear seats, what's under there anyway? Why not have a telescoping steering wheel? Paint bubbling and chipping at bottoms of rear doors. Option for Bose sound system - they sound awesome! Change parking brake handle - kinda flimsy.