2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

PreRunner Double Cab (2.7L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic 6.2 ft. Bed)

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great Truck
By dennis on 10/11/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for over two years. I bought it for myself, but it has now become my daughter's primary vehicle. I feel good knowing that she is in a safe vehicle that is unlikely to cause problems for her. Whenever I take it in for routine service the techs comment on how good of shape it is in mechanically.

Surprising MPG
By John on 09/19/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner 4x2 SR5, 2.47L. I was pleasantly surprised that on a trip from Boise, Idaho to Lompoc, CA I averaged 23.5 mpg using the cruise control as much as possible and the Power ECT on long uphill grades.

Overall - NOT BAD
By Ronnie on 04/10/08 19:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven 4 dr sedans all of my life and this was my 1st pick-up. I bought a Snug-Top Tonneau cover for it immediately as I wanted to have a huge trunk. Overall, the truck was well-worth the money.

A truck to last
By Skywookie on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just a great truck that there is no need to worry about it lasting in the long haul

Very Impressive after 6 months!!
By G Williams on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Waited 6 months before writing my review and happily report that I have not had ANY problems. Build quality is great. Resale value is excellent. I get many compliments from strangers...."nice truck". Being very particular about my vehicles, I compared the Toyota with it's competition. Found the Totota to be a more attractive total package. My wife and I both love the room the 4 door model offers. I chose the 2.7 liter engine over the 3.4 due primarily to the 4 cylinder's established history for bullet proof reliability. I gladly traded off the performance for better fuel economy ( 23+ mpg around town!) Plan on keeping my truck many, many years!

Beats all Competition
By Boman on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

While I have just purchased a 2003 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab this past weekend (I traded in a '98 Honda Accord, also a great vehicle), I must say that I chose the right vehicle. 4 door sedans don't compare with the versatility of a double cab or 4 door pickup. I looked at comparable models from Nissan, Dodge, Ford, etc., but nothing compares in its class to Toyota, period. The truck handles nicely, accelerates like a 4 cylinder (requires some revs, but gas mileage is much better than V6), but at least has multivalves where other trucks operate on 2 valves/cylinder.

It's good to be back with Toyota
By Pierceu2 on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The last toyota I owned, a 1983 pick up had over a quarter of a million miles on it when I sold it , and was in about the same shape as the 2000 nissan I bought to replace it with after only 60,000 miles. I strayed away for a cheaper price in 1999 and wound up payed the price in the long run. It's good to be back in a solid riding vehicle again that I can drive and drive with no worries.