2003 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2003 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

Love this truck
By pixieplc

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck because I was moving out west and wanted something to get me through any kind of conditions. Driven cross country several times with no problems at all. Very reliable and stylish, I get compliments on it all the time. I was worried the cost was too high but I haven't regretted it for a minute since my purchase. I will drive this truck til the wheels fall off!

Favorite Features

CD player and stock stereo system are both very nice

Suggested Improvements

Back seats are not comfortable at all and a temperature and compass feature would be nice.

Taco Review
By Harry Nonnemacher

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding vehicle, overall good quality, very user friendly. 21 MPG average with a v6 5 speed. Excellent safety features as well. Plenty of power, very responsive acceleration. Overall good price. A good looking "beefy" truck!

Favorite Features

Auto 4wd, airbags, rear differential lock. Vehicle Intrusion Detection.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension is a little softer than the previous year Toyota, When they offer the off-road package the should put light bars and roll bars on it.

The Competiton is Not an Option
By OffRdWarrior

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Don't waste your money on the TuRD package. Get aftermarket suspension - For cheap get coil spacers, slightly more go "Old Man Emu", or the bucks get coilovers. Aftermarket lockers and your unstoppable.

Favorite Features

No cheap (Nissan)looking plastic bumpers.

Suggested Improvements

Diesel option. Better seats.

Truck lover
By toyotafan11

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I owned a 1986 standard bed Toyota 4x4 4cyl. 5sp for 9 years and had 125,000 miles on it before it was totaled. After that I purchased a 1995 Corrola which had 330,000 miles before tading it in on this 2003 Toyota Tacoma xtra cab, V6, 5 sp. I hope to enjoy this Toyata as much as the other 2. I loved the 86 truck and wanted to own another truck. I would only purchase Toyota because of its dependability. I purchased the truck Nov. 2003 and enjoy it except for the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

hight over other vehicles body design interior comfort torgue V6

Suggested Improvements

move the clock so the driver can view it. independent rear suspension for a more comfordable ride. keep the suspension hight or higher. better back support for rear passangers.

perfect truck
By shawnwat

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD 3.4L V-6 5 speed is a wonderful truck. It performs great in 4 wheel drive, from the snow to the beach to mud trails. Its 190 hp has more than enough zip to it. I plan on having this truck for a long time.

Favorite Features

The TRD package is great. Very comfortable ride. Great off road. 31 inch tires look muscular. 5 speed transmission makes the 190 hp come to life.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a few more ponies under the hood. 190 is nice, but I'd like to have around 210 or so. Also, fuel economy is average

A Real Truck!!!
By ex-18- wheeler

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have the TRD package, stock, except added a grille guard. Took it up Horsethief Canyon Trail at Lake Mead Rec. area last Sat..Kept it in H-4 the whole time.(Jeez, when do you use L- 4???) Only 'lifted' Rubicon jeeps could handle this trail, except for my taco. Larger 4x4's have to stick to civilized off-roads.

Favorite Features

Drives like a truck should. If one wants comfort, buy an SUV or American made pickup w/leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Da' clock, Da' clock, Da' clock, so, wear a wristwatch.

Keeper
By Pete in Alabama

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Previous vehicle was an 89 Toyota pickup. Hoping the new Tacoma will be as reliable. After 3 or 4 hours on the road, the firm seats get slightly uncomfortable and 19MPG is lower than I'm used to but it was expected. The ride (on and off road) is great even with the TRD package. Acceleration is OK. Recommend DrawTie hitch receiver and Line-X bed liner. Have towed light loads so far with no problems. Hope to enjoy it for 10+ years.

Favorite Features

Reputation for reliability. Ride height, handling, interior storage, space behind the seats, chrome grille, orange dash lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Integrate clock into radio.

excitement
By Supralover

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Very very versatile whether offroading, moving big objects or just to have fun i think it's the best reliable truck on the market today

Favorite Features

the 4 WD and that i got it to be a manual. also that i got it with not a lot of miles on it

Suggested Improvements

a little bit bigger

Another Toyota truck for me
By thrower

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I just sold a 1991 Toyota truck. I was the original owner. With 200,000 miles on it, it was still running great, but it didn't have enough cab room for me, my wife and our dog. So I got the Extended cab, SR5 stepside. The V6 is powerful and quiet. Steering is responsive and tight. The truck has the off-road suspension and it seems to help reduce speed bumps, etc. Toyota hasn't lost the touch. It's a great truck.

Favorite Features

TRD off-road suspension, ground clearance, V6 power, creature comforts in cab such as cruise control, intermittent wipers, shift on the fly...my 1991 Toyota didn't have those features!

Suggested Improvements

Driver's view of clock is obstructed by steering wheel. Quite a bit of road noise, wind, etc, at highway speed. Bucket seats are uncomfortable at times.

my truck
By joshua skinner

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

only have had great things with toyota. this new tacoma so far is the best yet.

Favorite Features

I love my supercharger and i love the rear locker