Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good combination of features
By maxwellhammer

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.4L automatic, extended cab 2WD SR5. So far, I'm getting 25 mpg. The smallest engine available, but has perfectly adequate power. This is the first year for standard ABS, which was a hard to find option. I searched forever for these features in a used truck, really glad I found it. I hear the '05 and newer Tacomas don't have as good build quality, they're larger and don't offer the 2.4L. If you're looking for great reliability and mileage, I'd get an '03 or '04.

Extended cab. No extra interior room without it, but you still get a 6 foot bed with it, unlike the 4 door. Nobody will ever ride back there, but it's good inside space to put a few groceries, etc.

Hard to find luxury options on Tacomas. Sun roof, Power locks & mirrors, and power heated leather bucket seats with lumbar adjustment as found in my '99 Avalon would be great.

Great Small Truck
By Pilgrim

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For a small truck this is really comfortable to drive and easy to get into for large people. Your passengers are comfortable and at ease while riding in this truck.

The dash lights at night are soft and easy to read

Move the clock as it is a safety hazard due to its location. You are unable to read it without moving and diverting your attention from driving. Also, dash is great at night but the white make it look less attractive in the day time.

Good Solid Truck
By polar bear

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this truck this summer and thus far I'm very happy with it. Solid, reliable and well engineered truck. For my purposes, the 2.4 litre engine is just fine. I've used it to haul lumber and other loads of junk to the dump. Gas mileage has been consistently at 23 mpg in city driving. Haven't taken any highway trips yet. Highly recommend this truck.

Crisp shifting 5 speed transmission, perfect seat height on 2WD model makes getting in and out comfortable and easy.

Definitely need to reposition the clock. Actually, why not incorporate clock into the radio like most vehicles?

Couldn't be happier
By bill b

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Paid $15.4 K. AC Chrome SR5 pkg. 5 speed manual. 4 cylinder totally fine for me, even with a load. I drive very conservatively, and get an honest 32 mpg. I figure it every tank. Expect it may drop some during winter months. Solid feel. Good handling for a truck. Love the size, nice low bed. I wouldn't own a 4x4, at least for my current needs.

Styling, economy, very high build quality. Nice sound system.

Ventilation fan is noisy when on high. Yes the clock is in an awkward spot, but that is trivial. Seats are fine but some side bolstering would be nice.

Where do you put your legs?
By ChipD

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck as a commuter vehicle. The test drive was great. But.. After I purchased it, and was stuck in traffic, the lack of legroom, and support in the seat quickly went from discomfort to severe pain. I'm only 6'2" but I just don't fit. First time this has ever happened to me in any vehicle. Even my daughter's Geo has more comfortable seats.

Great looks, great quality.

More legroom. Better seat support.