Used 2003 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Originally a Chevy guy
By aspry

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Never thought I'd buy anything "foreign" but I'm glad I did. This is one great truck and can actually be used like one.

The truck has a four wheel drive shift lever instead of a cheap push button deal. (Sorry Chevy)

Gee I really can't think of anything I'm not satisfied with. Just a great truck.

The little engine that could
By ren

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I have to say that this little truck is great for its size. Off road and this little guy can do it ok. I wish it had about 10-15 more ponies, but you cant have everything right. For the money this truck is great. It's reliable and its gets me from A to B. I wish I had an extended cab for more room but I manage in this one. Regular maintenance is good and easy. There is a weird creak or rattle in the dash at times. Wish it had a higher resale. Overall, not a bad little workhorse.

Acceleration with premium in the 5sp winds up pretty good. Sounds good, handles good, (I would know ;) mileage is a plus

Lift truck off ground a little higher. Make ground behind seat flat without that stupid crossbar behind on the wall. Improve power a little

long time toyota owner
By altoona

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Over all it is ok for the money. Drive train is very noisy at slow speeds or when climbing hills. I have owned toyota trucks for many years and would not even consider any other type of maker. I would like to have had a clock somewhere on the dash.

The 5 speed is nice. I like the way this truck handles curves and wet/snowy road surfaces.

Smooth out the drive train, other wise a nice truck.

2003 Tacoma
By fixandrepair

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had '86 Toy P/u and loved it but needed more work so bought a new Tacoma with just the basics. I own (have ownd) many Toyotas and they are low maint/reliable. BUT noticed this is the first one not built in Japan, but in TENN, and I can tell the diff in quality.! Windows loose/rattle, creeking sound in dash, bed liner coming "unglued", paint bubbling up both sides on door at bottom. Only complaining because I love my old TOY and still have a 4rnr I'm happy with. I like my Tacoma (gave it a hi rating) but it could have been built better.

IT's a TOYOTA

US factory built should have same quality as "built in Japan" Need clock standard in Radio.

Wonderful small truck
By JimiDGreek

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Tacoma last year and I love it! Great on gas,I average 28mpg. Good ride,drives nice. A/C is ice cold. Cab is a little tight for me,I'm 5`10. No problems at all with it. I would buy another for sure. Next time I'm getting an extra cab. I feel it's a better value than a Ranger or S-10.

A/C is great. Dash layout is just fine. Stereo play nice. Plenty of cup holders and places to store stuff.

Make clock and intermittent wipers standard. Better seats would be nice too.