2003 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I cant see myself not Owning one from now on
By sevamg on 09/09/14 11:23 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Its the most flexible, useful and maintenance free vehicle I ever owned, I bought it with about 55k miles in 2008, it now has over 125k and purrs. Replaced timing belt at 100k, The way its running i think I could get another 100K. It was well worth the money.

What do I fix
By toyotajeff on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck when I was looking for a 4x4 and ended up being happy even though it is a 2wd. Other than general maintenance I have yet to repair anything ( in fact most mechanics I've talked to have yet to make repairs on this model). I love my taco and I never had any problems with the interior but I think they had an access of clocks cause they used the same one in my 87 4runner.

Great Truck just getting broken in
By jeff s on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a well built and good looking truck. I am a bit of a neat freak but i do still get comments 7 years later on how good this truck looks. The paint, body and style has held up really well. 2 minor recalls, it has never failed. I have the TRD off road, its a bit bumpy but that's what you pay for!

Bring the 2.4 ltr Hilux to the USA
By RAV1973 on 07/20/10 13:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Toyota Tacoma, first new car to ACT like a new car. It handles really well but certain things are frustrating nuisances: The seats (Camry seats in a truck) sit very uncomfortable- already replaced fabric twice (that's NOT normal wear/tear) the foam breaks down inside. The head lights (replaced 10 times each) since 2003 10X a bit extreme isn't it! The paint (clear coat) chipping off in random places: I had an after market sunroof put in. While some paint chipping is near the sunroof, other areas are not which exclude the paint chipping blame game. I would seriously consider Toyota product: 2.4 liter turbo diesel HILUX if sold in the USA without adjusting down the MPG iow: EPA/USA.

Good combination of features
By maxwellhammer on 04/08/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

2.4L automatic, extended cab 2WD SR5. So far, I'm getting 25 mpg. The smallest engine available, but has perfectly adequate power. This is the first year for standard ABS, which was a hard to find option. I searched forever for these features in a used truck, really glad I found it. I hear the '05 and newer Tacomas don't have as good build quality, they're larger and don't offer the 2.4L. If you're looking for great reliability and mileage, I'd get an '03 or '04.

Great Truck
By dennis on 10/11/08 18:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle for over two years. I bought it for myself, but it has now become my daughter's primary vehicle. I feel good knowing that she is in a safe vehicle that is unlikely to cause problems for her. Whenever I take it in for routine service the techs comment on how good of shape it is in mechanically.

Surprising MPG
By John on 09/19/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just purchased a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner 4x2 SR5, 2.47L. I was pleasantly surprised that on a trip from Boise, Idaho to Lompoc, CA I averaged 23.5 mpg using the cruise control as much as possible and the Power ECT on long uphill grades.

Love it
By love it on 05/28/08 11:31 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Tacoma! Thinking now of selling in order to get better fuel economy (steady 20 mpg now) great, reliable vehicle - only negatives are placement of the clock (behind the steering wheel basically) and interior picked up scratches on plastic too easily. Wish gas mileage was better and I could keep it!

Overall - NOT BAD
By Ronnie on 04/10/08 19:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've driven 4 dr sedans all of my life and this was my 1st pick-up. I bought a Snug-Top Tonneau cover for it immediately as I wanted to have a huge trunk. Overall, the truck was well-worth the money.

I'll always buy Toyota.
By Americayay on 03/15/08 01:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner Rwd SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I get amazing gas mileage for a truck. I adore this truck. It's cute and incredibly reliable. The only problems I have ever had have been normal car maintenance problems (battery, tires, brakes, etc.) I also threw it out of alignment jumping train tracks at 16. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's powered by a 40 watt lightbulb. Absolutely zero get up and go. ZERO. Clocked it at 0 - 60 in 27 seconds. I am NOT exaggerating. The cab is very cramped. I did not know my husband when I chose the truck and didn't realize I would one day marry a 6' 4" 300 pound guy. It's awful and painful to sleep in this truck. Storage space is zero. Overall, this is a wonderful truck. Particularly as a 2nd car.