Blown Engine but still like it
By houstonwarren2 on
2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)
I have owned this truck since it was new. 4 cylinder, full 4-door model. The fuel economy sits around 19mpg highway fairly consistently. For the first 53k miles I abused the heck out of this truck. It is a gutless 4banger so I would push it to just over 100mph by pushing the OD/off on the shifter to drop a gear in order to get over 100. This was nearly every day for my commute because I literally am always running late. The minimum was 90mph (toll road 17 miles to work). Under the powertrain warranty I carved out cylinders 1 and 3, so I was given a new short-block and new lease on life. Ever since, I don't even let this thing slip into overdrive and baby her. See (improvements)
Favorite Features
My boat weighs around 3500 lbs with the trailer and this 4 cylinder can pull it out of the water on the boat ramp! Emergency brake on, slow release with gas applied and she creeps out every time (steep ramp). I don't tow it far (1 mile) and really take er' easy under way. I'm pretty impressed.
Suggested Improvements
The 4 cylinder is over-weight and under powered. I would have opted for the 6 if I could do-over. I never wash this thing but the finish is holding up very well. I have done nothing to this vehicle other than oil change and an A/C charge thus far. Transmission needs flushing I'm sure! 130,500 miles!