No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85 on
2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!
Favorite Features
The styling of this truck is probably my favorite feature, followed closely by its reliability. It was the look of this body style that made me choose it over the new model. I love the look of the fender flares fitted over the larger off-road tires, the rounded styling of the hood, grille, and body, and the way it sits high off the ground even though it is a smaller truck. The interior is comfortable and clean, and despite me liking the newer Tacoma interior a bit more, this one has been more pleasing than I thought it would be. Road trips have been very comfortable every time. Above all, it is a tough truck, and takes a beating, even though I usually tend to baby it (as it is my baby).
Suggested Improvements
The only things I would improve on this truck would be the placement of the clock (it is mostly hidden by the steering wheel when you are driving), and maybe adding a little more power (although the 190 horsepower V6 does very well, no doubt). The new Tacoma V6 has about 235 horsepower, which I sometimes wish this truck had. I plan to add a TRD supercharger someday which should put it easily in the mid-200hp range, as well as a 3" lift, slightly larger tires and custom wheels, nothing larger than 17", and chrome nerf bars. Other than that, this truck needs no improvements. It is a model for what other trucks should be.