2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
An Excellent Choice
By Pequot on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It was a little pricey, but I have found it to live up to my expectations.

You get what you pay for...
By chonie on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have read a number of other reviews and was not shocked to read about the fender flare seal problems. Other than that, after a few cross country trips and lots of stop and go traffic; no problems whatsoever. I cannot adequately express how much I love this truck. I think that it is by far the best looking truck in it's class and, of course, the quality of a Toyota speaks for itself. Although it is more expensive than the others in it's class, I think we all know that you get what you pay for when it comes to trucks and I feel as though I have received every penny's worth when it comes to my Tacoma.

Good truck, but with problems
By riddler on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

2002 Tacoma double cab is very practical and capable, but mine has been a disappointment. I've had numerous problems with a rattling dashboard (10+ trips to the dealer and it still rattles). Also, I just had a fuel tank recall and had to get some sort of metal shielding installed. Water pump leaked and had to be replaced. Another large water leak into the cab from the engine cowl - this thing is in the shop yet again getting all the carpet and jute replaced. It's a great truck ... when it's not in the shop. Based on my experiences over the past 1.5 years, I would not recommend this truck. Riddler

Tacoma - Good Solid Truck
By Hundarion on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle to do general type hauling on the weekends for gardening & home improvement work. This vehicle is well suited for these tasks. I appreciate the fine lines on the body of this truck, especially the front end. I test drove several other compact trucks and felt the tacoma gave the best ride. The truck handles well with adequate power for a 4 cylinder. I do experience the whistle in my A/C that some other reviewers have complained about but no other complaints. This is the 3rd Toyota vehicle I have owned and I hope my Tacoma provides the same reliability and problem free performance as my previous two vehicles.

disappointing
By chicophitau on 05/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first new truck purchase and I was very disappointed. This truck spent more time in the shop than any other used vehicle I have ever owned. I have had to go to the dealer 4 seperate times to have fender flare seals replaced. I had to have a 4 brakes rebuilt because of warpage problems. Another time was for a clutch return spring that broke. A mud flap fell off and also was replaced...another visit to the dealer. Now there is a constant rattle under the dashboard. Luckily this appeared before the warranty ran out..again a return to the dealer. This truck is only one year old, too young to be having so many problems.

A good truck but for a few nits
By Mywritingdesk on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Tight and well-built. Underpowered, but this may be the fault of the tall tires which raise the effective gear ratio. Driver seat felt weird at first but my bad back loves it, even on long drives. Weird and irritationg motor rap around 2K under light load, sounds like a rod knock, but can't be heard outside the vehicle. Some folks say the 3RZ motor will just keep running regardless. Bought a 100K "wrapper" warranty just in case.

Great Truck!!!!!
By Azar on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This truck does everything. added a soft tonneau cover, tube type running boards, bug and tar deflector and wind and rain deflectors. looks really sharp.

Just an Excellent Truck
By envelopo on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my fourth Toyota truck, I have had excellent luck with all of them. This xc 4wd is all realiable, comfy and good looking too. It does what I need it to do without looking big and stupid like so many trucks on the market today.

2002 Tacoma Crew Cab 4WD
By Doug I on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck so far. I have had no problems with it at all and the crew cab is very handy for hualing the grandkids around.

So much fun!
By Jynxie on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have wanted the Toyota Pickup for a long time, and finally I got one April of 2002. I called it "my Buff Little Truck" and it is! It has great pep in it and takes a bit of off road abuse. :)