2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
great so far
By afrantom on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The overall quality and design is almost perfect. Although the options can be a little pricy, there really is no comparison to any other make. After testing several other imports and domestics, this is by far the superior vehicle. Already having over 4000 miles in just a month and a half, the ride is quite comfortable, especially for someone of my size (6'4" and 250lbs). One of the downfalls is the lack of room in the Xcab. I don't even think my 11 year old nephew was comfortable on a 5 mile drive. definitely need a re-design for the Xcab in the near future. Other than that, the truck is quite capable.

Consider your options....
By Kalhoun on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First off, the truck was delivered dirty and damaged. The salesman tried to clean the upholstry with paint cleaner. That ruined the drivers side seat. The area where the top of the cab connects with the side at the passenger window was not ground down and the weld joints are exceptionally noticable. The AC and heat "whistle" on the top two speed settings (unless set to highest or lowest settings). I wouldn't purchase another Tacoma.

S-Runner By John B.z
By S-Runner8 on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

The ride deliver a decent power. Willing to rev any pick up trucks that wants to race. The seat is very confortable but not after for more than 2 hours non-stop ride. Most important, it catches attention to those who drives a different sport trucks. The engine power is there when you need it, especially when going to freeway.

Tacoma 2002
By Khoi on 05/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. I've owned the inline 4 in the past and it was adequate for everyday use. But changing over to this 3.4 L V6 is great. This engine has so much pep in it. Althought I would love to see how it could really perform with the TRD supercharger.

Great Truck
By kevinb on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I Love this truck it beats the heck out of my previous trucks. I have noticed that the quality of toyota bucket seats have progressively gotten worse over the years. my 89 4runner had very nice seats 4 or 5 different adjustments. Lumbar, thigh support etc. my 2002 has two forward and backward, and recline. the clock is also a joke. overall i love this truck very comfortable and excellent off road

Tough Tacoma
By cool on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the 2002 Pre-runner V6 ext.cab Tacoma version last week. I already have 500 Miles!!! I'm very pleased. What a fun car. The Pre-Runner trim and TRD Off-Road package makes the truck sit up a lot higher than most other trucks. The V6 has a nice punch. And you can't argue about how beautiful yet rugged the Tacoma looks. I'm looking forward to putting many miles on this truck.

Glad I did it!
By msurtees on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Finally getting rid of a 1991 Toyota Corolla. It was time to get a truck and I was thinking of Dodge, Ford, and Toyota. The more I thought about it, my last Toyota lasted me 11 years and had well over 200,000 miles on it...why would I go with anyone else?! Just bought it and I love it!

My 2nd 'yota
By NAD on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Decent power for a 4-banger, although I wish the V6 was offered at this trim level. Comfortable ride quality, superb ergonomics, solid build, and Toyota finally put some 15" rims on its 2WD trucks. Handles great with a load in the back, no noticeable change to braking characteristics. Transmission very solid, this thing feels like it could easily handle a V8. Second gear is way too high, especially compared to the fairly low-geared first. You can tell that the build quality is much cheaper on the 2002 compared to my 1986 'yota, yet it is still very solid compared to anything else. Gas mileage a bit lower than expected, 21 mpg street, 23 mpg highway. Nice truck, worth the money.

You have to love this truck
By Bert1124 on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck!! A bit weak in quick excellerations. In that event it is better to switch off the over drive button. Overall: Fun, looks good, and is comfortable on long drives.

2001 Tacoma Extended Cab Limited Edition
By Smitty on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great truck, I had always wanted one and now I got it. I looked at a Dodge and a Chevy too but neither one matched the track record of a Toyota, not to mention the bang for the buck. It has a ton of Power for a V6, big bed, very roomy interior that is comfortable and quiet and it handles great in the snow! I liked it so much my best friend bought one too, and he loves it more than I do. Buy one, you won't be dissappointed!