Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

The best 4-wheel-drive truck for the $$$
By Bechego

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a reliable 4x4 truck that would last at least ten years. This truck has now 30K miles and there is nothing wrong with it. I have taken it off-road a couple of times and have been very confident in it. It is clearly not a truck that you want to abuse too much off road though. After off-roading once I had to have the alignment done because it was thrown off. Even though the ride is somewhat rough and sometimes bouncy, the truck has very good handling and it is sure on its "feet".

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the one-push four-wheel-drive engager (with the self- locking hubs)

Suggested Improvements

The dashboard needs to be re-designed a little. The clock, for example, is blocked by the steering wheel.

Excellent Quality Pick-up Truck
By Sherry M.

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma Double Cab for two years and love it. It has been very reliable and have had no problems at all with it. The quality of the truck is excellent inside and out. I've been very impressed that the cost of maintenance is much less expensive than most others. I would recommend this truck to anyone looking for a good looking, quality pick-up truck. The Tacoma Double Cab also has great leg room in the front as well as in the back.

Favorite Features

Ground clearance is significantly higher than most trucks this size. Lots of cup holders. Stereo system is great - has both a cassette player and CD player.

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement I can think of is to move the clock to another location. It is a little hard to see because of the steering wheel.

An Excellent Choice
By Pequot

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It was a little pricey, but I have found it to live up to my expectations.

Favorite Features

I love the ground clearance. It handles well off road, though it is a little tippy in turns.

Suggested Improvements

I think that the biggest inprovement they could make to this vehicle is to improve the power and gas mileage, well at least the gas mileage.

Good truck, but with problems
By riddler

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

2002 Tacoma double cab is very practical and capable, but mine has been a disappointment. I've had numerous problems with a rattling dashboard (10+ trips to the dealer and it still rattles). Also, I just had a fuel tank recall and had to get some sort of metal shielding installed. Water pump leaked and had to be replaced. Another large water leak into the cab from the engine cowl - this thing is in the shop yet again getting all the carpet and jute replaced. It's a great truck ... when it's not in the shop. Based on my experiences over the past 1.5 years, I would not recommend this truck. Riddler

Suggested Improvements

Overall, it seems to be a good design that is suffering from poor quality control at the assembly line.

2002 Tacoma Crew Cab 4WD
By Doug I

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck so far. I have had no problems with it at all and the crew cab is very handy for hualing the grandkids around.

Favorite Features

I like the body style. It looks sharp!

Suggested Improvements

clock location, softer ride, better quality seat material, softer seats for seat comfort, better stereo, dash control for dome light