2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great truck
By Cedric on 12/03/05 23:50 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma now for 3 and a half years and I couldn't be happier. It meets my everyday needs and is very reliable. I've towed several heaviy loads in excess of 4000 lds several hundred miles without any problems. Highway ride is comfortable and road noise is at a minimum. Off road I haven't gotten into anything that I couldn't drive myself out of with the rear locker the comes with TRD package. Wheel travel and groung clerance have never been an issue even with the factory suspension. The only downfall I can think of is the bed size, would like it to be bigger. With a standard size toolbox there is not much bed space left.

Great Truck
By Mark on 09/09/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down the best vehicle I've owned.

oh what a feelin!!!
By Jabo on 08/12/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Guys, My truck rocks. I love the mini truck/ 4 wheel monster/ did you say mud? Look it has. This is my 1st Toyota ever, and I love it. It feels solid on any surface I put it on. My wife seems to enjoy driving it as much as I do. Im not sure why toyota went to such a bigger body style with the tacoma. I love it when I pull Z-71's out of the mud with my little truck. The extra cab has good room for me, the wife, and a 6, and 1 year old.

Perfect Compact Pickup
By Awesome Truck on 08/11/05 22:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with this truck so far. I have had no problems at all with it. I bought it in Colorado and drove it home to Michigan. It was a fun trip.

At 95K it's still truckin'
By Distance Driver on 08/02/05 03:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Approaching 95,000 miles and my 2.7L 4 cyl is still zooming along. No let up in the power though I pause for thought when the truck seems to "lurch" at stop lights. It gets warmed up and everything seems to gell for the rest of my drive. Light weight so it can be too bouncey even in the highway and a challenge to control in wind driven rain. Pleased with the quality and had no really expensive or repeated problems. Pretty much the next 50K miles is make or break for me buying another Toyota since I've had less expensive Fords make it to this point just fine. I expect to be driving my '02 at 150K so here's hoping I see many more miles and that the next one is a Texas-made Tundra.

Great Truck
By cbrdoctor on 07/27/05 21:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Title says it all. 24MPG, 2.7L Gone over every inch of it and looks typically Toyota great.

Couldn't be happier
By Big_Port on 07/18/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Aside from Fuel mileage, I couldn't be happier with my Tacoma. The build quality is great, creature comforts are minimal but it's a truck, has everything you need. The exterior styling is second to none. The TRD package probably isn't necissary unless yoru a real off-roader but it's nice to have for resale value. All in all, I wouldn't conscider any other 4 door truck for my needs. A+ for this Truck.

nice truck
By Helo pilot on 07/17/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No issues after 3 harddriving years! Love the design of the truck. Chrome bumpers. The overall reputation for quality is holding up. Seats alittle uncomfortable on long hauls. Extra features costly. Clock placement is a joke. Very happy with truck.

Not sure if it's worth it yet.......
By Former Ford Owner on 04/30/05 02:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Seems like a decent compact truck so far. Could use more power, a little pricy for what I got. Seems solid, though and a nice ride. I had a Ford Ranger previously (a 1991), and loved it. Could use a 3rd door on Xtra cab, Auto Tranny makes acceleration a bit sluggish at times. Who put the clock there? You can't see it from the driving position. And if you install a CD AND Cassette player, why wouldn't you provide storage for CD's as well?? Cassettes went out long ago, yet armrest has cassette storage area. Dual accessory power outlets a BIG plus! Overall, a nice ride....just not sure on the value... give me a couple of years.

Love my Truck
By M Paris on 03/12/05 16:00 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My 3rd truck, but my first Toyota. Best truck so far. 4 cyl with a 5 speed. Does pretty good on gas. Tuff as nails and great in the snow.