Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
Cool Truck
By MikeyG

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great looking truck inside and out. I like the ground clearance and have good visibility. I'm 6'3" and there is plenty of head room inside the cab. It's comfortable and has a good amount of storage inside. I haven't had any problems with my Tacoma. I've only had to do the regular scheduled maintence. I would highly recommend the Tacoma to anyone in the market for a quality pick-up. I also suggest that you go with the V6 over the 4-cylinder.

Favorite Features

I love the body style and it's fun to drive - even when just going to work or around town.

Suggested Improvements

Move the clock already. Better gas mileage would be on everyone's "wish list".

Love it.
By Ryan

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4 doors are great and I don't find the size of the bed to be an issue. Reliable, handles well, especially in snow. Not the most comfortable ride on bumpy dirt roads, but fine on the highway. I highly recommend it.

It's half mountain goat
By jill

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little truck, it's civilized enough for every day driving, but when we go into the sticks - we go off road for hundreds of miles. It can rock crawl, stump jump, plow through 1ft of snow, is surefooted in freezing rain. One year it was so icy I couldn't walk without falling - but I could drive! Totally reliable tough little truck. I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. I can haul plenty too - LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

Favorite Features

Its offroad capability, and agility. A breeze in a cramped parking lot. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. Has had a rattle in the dash for years, remote is hinky.

Couldn't be happier
By Big_Port

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Aside from Fuel mileage, I couldn't be happier with my Tacoma. The build quality is great, creature comforts are minimal but it's a truck, has everything you need. The exterior styling is second to none. The TRD package probably isn't necissary unless yoru a real off-roader but it's nice to have for resale value. All in all, I wouldn't conscider any other 4 door truck for my needs. A+ for this Truck.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, larger tires and wheels, huge back seat that is comfortable for 6 foot guys.

Suggested Improvements

Few more ponies under the hood. Better Fuel mileage.

No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

Favorite Features

The styling of this truck is probably my favorite feature, followed closely by its reliability. It was the look of this body style that made me choose it over the new model. I love the look of the fender flares fitted over the larger off-road tires, the rounded styling of the hood, grille, and body, and the way it sits high off the ground even though it is a smaller truck. The interior is comfortable and clean, and despite me liking the newer Tacoma interior a bit more, this one has been more pleasing than I thought it would be. Road trips have been very comfortable every time. Above all, it is a tough truck, and takes a beating, even though I usually tend to baby it (as it is my baby).

Suggested Improvements

The only things I would improve on this truck would be the placement of the clock (it is mostly hidden by the steering wheel when you are driving), and maybe adding a little more power (although the 190 horsepower V6 does very well, no doubt). The new Tacoma V6 has about 235 horsepower, which I sometimes wish this truck had. I plan to add a TRD supercharger someday which should put it easily in the mid-200hp range, as well as a 3" lift, slightly larger tires and custom wheels, nothing larger than 17", and chrome nerf bars. Other than that, this truck needs no improvements. It is a model for what other trucks should be.