2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Bigger Is Not Always Better
By Flavellinator on 06/23/07 11:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at many new trucks and was not impressed. Sure, they're larger, faster, and hold more things, but that's not what I needed. I didn't want the worry of fitting into a small parking space, or making a U-turn, or driving on a narrow road. I needed a truck that held four people comfortably while still being able to haul my stuff, rode well, and was dependable. So I backtracked and purchased a used Tacoma. What a great decision! Its design is outstanding; the sightlines from sitting up high are fantastic. Gas mileage is good. It's comfortable too. Not everyone wants a big truck; it's a mistake that they removed this size of vehicle from the market, so get a good used one while you can.

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi on 02/21/07 20:26 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

My Truck
By Schotts631 on 01/17/07 07:44 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and besides a replaced power steering pump (under warranty) I have had no mechanical issues. Toyota quality is second to none. Only gripes I have is the placement of the clock, and a jittery ride over bad pavement, and mediocre gas mileage (18 mpg avg.) but hey, its a truck. Stock tires were crap and after replacing them with bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's the handling improved greatly. This truck has never let me down, and I'll probably have it forever. Its still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. It always pays to have a great pickup.

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer on 11/29/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

great truck
By Gary on 05/26/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have found not problems with the truck. when needed the 4 wheel drive is indispensible. have never been stuck and vehicle always starts. Installed an engine block heater for cold climates.

my truck
By victor benaqvidez on 05/19/06 17:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

from the day i bought this vehicle i have had few if any problems. it performs like a dream and has never left me high and dry. i would recommend it to all my friends and relatives.

Awesome
By Packman on 05/07/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable vehicle. Slim profile (compared to full-sized trucks and SUV's)and adequate ground clearance allows one to maneuver in tight off-road situations. Dependable, tight vehicle that's lots of fun to drive.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
By Jerry on 03/14/06 20:46 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love driving this truck. I spent many miles a day driving between and onto jodsites. The extended cab allows room for books and plans but offers little for a passenger. I also use it to pull two ATV's on a trailer when we go riding. The 6 cyl. handles the load at 65 mph on the straight level road but a slight inclines cause it to drop down a gear. At 20,000 miles, trouble arose with front end feeling loose and vibrating. Neither Toyota nor tire dealer could target the cause. Recall work on problem ball joints just completed and all seems smooth again. The Pre-runner ride is good and stiff and it puts you up in the air a bit for additional clearance and a better feel when driving.

Good truck with minor bugs
By riddleja on 01/20/06 14:27 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Major components are all solid and reliable, but fit & finish aren't up to my expectations of a Toyota. Numerous dashboard rattles (not fixed after 20 trips to 3 dealerships), had a water leak, and windshield washer pump broke. Gas mileage could also be better, but it's on par with similar vehicles.

great truck fun to drive
By Jesse Gonzalez on 01/14/06 23:32 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my tacoma for a 2 year and what 2 year it has been. The tacoma is a great truck that I would recomend to anyone. Its TRD package is great when going off road, its v6 engine is very powerfull I have towed my 22 foot boat without a problem. It has good leg space in front as well in the rear. The differential lock is great when you ever need to get out of a muddy place. Its ground clearence is more than enough to go over a few step hills. Overall the tacoma is and extrodinary truck with its great engeneering and its Reliability is fanominal. The only downfall is its clock, make it a little more visable.