Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Till the End
By Tawcoma26

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No matter what I throw at this truck, it gets the job done. Fits 5 people nicely, and you can still throw stuff in the bed. Although more pwr from the 4cyl would be nice, it still gets the job done. Mud, snow, sand, dirt, nothing can stop this truck. For the price you pay, you get one hell of a truck that can conquer anything. Pull, push, haul, it does it with reliability. From its great design to the ease of use in the cabin, this trucks a winner and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Offroad capability is definitely its best feature, ease of use, solid build, 4 full size drs, aftermarket background, and its good looks. Also the reliability that comes with the truck.

4cyl power, better gas mpg on 4cyl.

Gotta Love'em
By bill m.

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck (and my 3rd Toyota truck), dependable and ready for just about anything. 4WD works great! Extremely low maintenance.

Low maint. Fun to drive

Better seats, the comfort of the sports bucket seats is not as good as those in my 1987 Toyota SR5 Xtra cab. Gas mileage, only averaging 17 mpg, 1mpg less than our family Suburban

One Great Truck
By Bo

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my fourth Toyota pickup and I love it. I went with a 4cyl this time and the power is fine. I'm getting a average of 23 or 24 mpg. I'm a sales rep and drive about 30,000 miles a year. So far since I bought this in may I have placed 16,000 miles in less than six months and no problem what so ever. This model with the 4cyl, x-cab, trd package is the best Tacoma I've had thus far. I highly recommend it.

The truck not only drives and handles well, it just looks GOOOOOOD. Dang sexy!

They did their homework on this model. No improvements. It is a great truck.

Solid little truck
By John

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Tacoma is a respectable little truck. In 6 years I've put 75000 miles on it and only had to change tires, the battery, coolant, and oil. One thing in particular, is the steering has never gotten out of alignment, I had it checked when I replaced the OEM tires. It was right on. That was at 35000 miles. It is reliable, but slightly underpowered for its weight. It only gets about 18 mpg overall; in a range from 15 to 25 mpg. The interior is appealing except the seats are too lightweight. A seat spring makes noise sometimes. It also needs keyless entry. The headlights have never been changed and have been burning for 75000 miles! Same goes for other lights too. I've had no major problems

Solid reliable performance, cruise control, 4X4, good stereo with tape and CD player. Get the 5 spd automatic over the stick if you drive in town a lot.

Keyless entry, better seats, deeper bed, more power or better fuel mileage, a turbo diesel version, standard locking rear differential, more clicks on the intermittent wiper control, standard rubber mud mats not sissy carpet mats, locking gas cap now that gas is $4.

GAS HOG and high insurance rating
By willysworker

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Tacoma PreRunner new with 2.7 L motor and automatic transmission. It has 97,000 miles and has been a gas hog. Never gotten over 22 MPG. Loaded and doing 65 MPH on interstate it averages near 18 MPG. It also has a higher than normal insurance rating even with my excellent driving record.

It has been dependable.