Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

Seat belt retraction, turning radius (a V8 Tacoma would be pretty insane too).

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

Overall quality and reliability.

Better gas mileage.

Good truck with minor bugs
By riddleja

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Major components are all solid and reliable, but fit & finish aren't up to my expectations of a Toyota. Numerous dashboard rattles (not fixed after 20 trips to 3 dealerships), had a water leak, and windshield washer pump broke. Gas mileage could also be better, but it's on par with similar vehicles.

4 doors and a bed! This thing defines practical.

Fix the rattles! Interior styling was improved in the newer models. Improved fuel economy would be nice.

Couldn't be happier
By Big_Port

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Aside from Fuel mileage, I couldn't be happier with my Tacoma. The build quality is great, creature comforts are minimal but it's a truck, has everything you need. The exterior styling is second to none. The TRD package probably isn't necissary unless yoru a real off-roader but it's nice to have for resale value. All in all, I wouldn't conscider any other 4 door truck for my needs. A+ for this Truck.

Exterior styling, larger tires and wheels, huge back seat that is comfortable for 6 foot guys.

Few more ponies under the hood. Better Fuel mileage.

Atlanta Tacoma
By Bungeerunner

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for over a year.
Very reliable, low maintenance truck.
Plenty of torque and nice off-road
features - especially the
electronically locking rear dif. (TRD
Package) Several warranty items covered
without question from the dealer.

Great exterior lines from the side. High ride stance. Good exhaust tone.

The front end design is lousy. The Tacoma has what is the ugliest front grille on the market. Leather steering wheel. Seats are a bit flimsy. Bed needs to be 3" longer so that a bike will fit with the tailgate up. Gas mileage stinks Clock placement - obstructed by steering wheel.