Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

Favorite Features

Overall quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Good truck with minor bugs
By riddleja

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Major components are all solid and reliable, but fit & finish aren't up to my expectations of a Toyota. Numerous dashboard rattles (not fixed after 20 trips to 3 dealerships), had a water leak, and windshield washer pump broke. Gas mileage could also be better, but it's on par with similar vehicles.

Favorite Features

4 doors and a bed! This thing defines practical.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the rattles! Interior styling was improved in the newer models. Improved fuel economy would be nice.

Couldn't be happier
By Big_Port

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Aside from Fuel mileage, I couldn't be happier with my Tacoma. The build quality is great, creature comforts are minimal but it's a truck, has everything you need. The exterior styling is second to none. The TRD package probably isn't necissary unless yoru a real off-roader but it's nice to have for resale value. All in all, I wouldn't conscider any other 4 door truck for my needs. A+ for this Truck.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, larger tires and wheels, huge back seat that is comfortable for 6 foot guys.

Suggested Improvements

Few more ponies under the hood. Better Fuel mileage.

Atlanta Tacoma
By Bungeerunner

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for over a year. Very reliable, low maintenance truck. Plenty of torque and nice off-road features - especially the electronically locking rear dif. (TRD Package) Several warranty items covered without question from the dealer.

Favorite Features

Great exterior lines from the side. High ride stance. Good exhaust tone.

Suggested Improvements

The front end design is lousy. The Tacoma has what is the ugliest front grille on the market. Leather steering wheel. Seats are a bit flimsy. Bed needs to be 3" longer so that a bike will fit with the tailgate up. Gas mileage stinks Clock placement - obstructed by steering wheel.

Tacoma Crew update
By Mike Humeston

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Now have 27699 on this truck I bought in July of 2002 The AC compressor quited down around 9k miles and works well. Developed the rattle in the dash around 7500 miles. Dealer fixed it on first try. Getting 19-21 around town with K&N air filter and ECT button off. Best on the road has been 24.3 MPG. Seats seem to be getting soft but still comfortable. Very happy with it and will consider the 2005 Taco or Tundra when I retire. Very satisfied with dealer and truck.....so far!!

Favorite Features

Performance, and solid ride on backcountry roads. Handles well on highway.

Suggested Improvements

Paint thin on rear panels and tail gate, as well as the bed. Do away with clock as ya can't see it anyway.