2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
The best 4-wheel-drive truck for the $$$
By Bechego on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a reliable 4x4 truck that would last at least ten years. This truck has now 30K miles and there is nothing wrong with it. I have taken it off-road a couple of times and have been very confident in it. It is clearly not a truck that you want to abuse too much off road though. After off-roading once I had to have the alignment done because it was thrown off. Even though the ride is somewhat rough and sometimes bouncy, the truck has very good handling and it is sure on its "feet".

Good truck, but with problems
By riddler on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

2002 Tacoma double cab is very practical and capable, but mine has been a disappointment. I've had numerous problems with a rattling dashboard (10+ trips to the dealer and it still rattles). Also, I just had a fuel tank recall and had to get some sort of metal shielding installed. Water pump leaked and had to be replaced. Another large water leak into the cab from the engine cowl - this thing is in the shop yet again getting all the carpet and jute replaced. It's a great truck ... when it's not in the shop. Based on my experiences over the past 1.5 years, I would not recommend this truck. Riddler

2002 Tacoma Crew Cab 4WD
By Doug I on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great truck so far. I have had no problems with it at all and the crew cab is very handy for hualing the grandkids around.

Humpty Dumpty...
By guamSAR on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck for my wife.Well, 6 months later she hit a big rutt in the road and before she knew it she was flying off into a ditch.The front wheels got their traction back as she turned the wheels back to the right and she started rolling.All told my wife rolled it 1 and 3/4 times ending up on the passenger side of the truck.

best of both worlds
By outlaw on 02/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

excellent pickup with room for four secure excellent quality a little pricey average mpg around town 18, 20 highway optional push button 4wd is nice feature in this truck

The Tacoma Delivers!
By MikeDean on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

What else can be said about the world's greatest mid-sized truck? I have the crew cab TRD V6. When I first saw this vehicle on the road last year, I knew I had to have one. There is no one thing I am disappointed in.

Reliable and Fun
By TSD on 10/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought this vehicle in June. For the last month I have been driving this truck. He cannot seem to pry it away from me!

Love my Tacoma!!
By Dale Bjorklund on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Upgrade from my 10 years of driving a '90 2WD Toyota 4-banger (a great little truck in its own right, my son owns it now). My '02 is a great truck, and I think it rides fine too!! Good power, great handling. I'm looking forward to snow for the first time in years!!

Sporty looking rock solid TOYOTA!!!!!!!
By marknjo on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Taco end of last year and have since put 8600 miles on it. Toyota really hit the nail on the head with this one. It is by far the best looking and most comfortable compact crew cab on the market (I tried them all). Roomy, well built interior coupled with Toyota reliability sold me right away. I, like everyone else, would like the clock relocated AND made LCD instead of LED, which you can't read if the sun happens to be shining on it. I would like to have more HP. I could supercharge, but I can't get past the $3000 price tag. It gets around fine and pulls my boat right down the interstate, but you can never have too many horses!

Tacoma Crew Cab 4x4
By Mike Humeston on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in July. I have 2080 miles on it. The air conditioner compressor is loud with it on high. The paint appears wrinkled along the lower rocker panels. I have been told this is normal. Clock is no big deal but you can't see it while driving. Came from the factory with one cargo hook missing in the rear, dealer replaced it without any problem. The rear seat folded down provides an unstable platform for carrying much. I do love the ECT switch on this rig and the comfortable front and rear seating is a plus. Picked up 1.5 MPG with the K&N air filter. So far I am satisfied with the vehicle and the dealer.