Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

An Excellent Choice
By Pequot

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It was a little pricey, but I have found it to live up to my expectations.

Favorite Features

I love the ground clearance. It handles well off road, though it is a little tippy in turns.

Suggested Improvements

I think that the biggest inprovement they could make to this vehicle is to improve the power and gas mileage, well at least the gas mileage.

You get what you pay for...
By chonie

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have read a number of other reviews and was not shocked to read about the fender flare seal problems. Other than that, after a few cross country trips and lots of stop and go traffic; no problems whatsoever. I cannot adequately express how much I love this truck. I think that it is by far the best looking truck in it's class and, of course, the quality of a Toyota speaks for itself. Although it is more expensive than the others in it's class, I think we all know that you get what you pay for when it comes to trucks and I feel as though I have received every penny's worth when it comes to my Tacoma.

Favorite Features

The flared fenders give it that "Baja racer" styling that everybody seems to love. And the Black Sand Pearl paint is gorgeous.

Suggested Improvements

Another thing I have seen on other reviews; whoever decided where to place the digital clock ought to be shot! Not crazy about the amber lighted dashboard.

Good truck, but with problems
By riddler

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

2002 Tacoma double cab is very practical and capable, but mine has been a disappointment. I've had numerous problems with a rattling dashboard (10+ trips to the dealer and it still rattles). Also, I just had a fuel tank recall and had to get some sort of metal shielding installed. Water pump leaked and had to be replaced. Another large water leak into the cab from the engine cowl - this thing is in the shop yet again getting all the carpet and jute replaced. It's a great truck ... when it's not in the shop. Based on my experiences over the past 1.5 years, I would not recommend this truck. Riddler

Suggested Improvements

Overall, it seems to be a good design that is suffering from poor quality control at the assembly line.

Tacoma - Good Solid Truck
By Hundarion

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle to do general type hauling on the weekends for gardening & home improvement work. This vehicle is well suited for these tasks. I appreciate the fine lines on the body of this truck, especially the front end. I test drove several other compact trucks and felt the tacoma gave the best ride. The truck handles well with adequate power for a 4 cylinder. I do experience the whistle in my A/C that some other reviewers have complained about but no other complaints. This is the 3rd Toyota vehicle I have owned and I hope my Tacoma provides the same reliability and problem free performance as my previous two vehicles.

Favorite Features

Very nice body style on the Tacoma. The automatic transmission is very smooth and far superior to the Saturn SL2 that I owned before I purchased the Tacoma.

Suggested Improvements

The pricing on the Tacoma is higher than comparable vehicles but the truck is barebones. Putting a clock in the truck and upgrading the bench seat cloth would be a good start. Adding some coin storage or small storage area by the center cup holders would help as well.

disappointing
By chicophitau

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first new truck purchase and I was very disappointed. This truck spent more time in the shop than any other used vehicle I have ever owned. I have had to go to the dealer 4 seperate times to have fender flare seals replaced. I had to have a 4 brakes rebuilt because of warpage problems. Another time was for a clutch return spring that broke. A mud flap fell off and also was replaced...another visit to the dealer. Now there is a constant rattle under the dashboard. Luckily this appeared before the warranty ran out..again a return to the dealer. This truck is only one year old, too young to be having so many problems.

Suggested Improvements

Customer service.