2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Best 4Door Compact Crew (IMHO)
By wsnoble on 05/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The truck is great. The only thing I think Toyota can do is consider more HP from the V6 and use better quality seat fabric. Other than that this thing is great. This truck is teh swiss army knives on compact trucks and with Toyota build quality and reliability, it it quite clearly the best choice in the segment

Glad I did it!
By msurtees on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Finally getting rid of a 1991 Toyota Corolla. It was time to get a truck and I was thinking of Dodge, Ford, and Toyota. The more I thought about it, my last Toyota lasted me 11 years and had well over 200,000 miles on it...why would I go with anyone else?! Just bought it and I love it!

TACOMA RULES
By Tacolover on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

MY TACOMA RULES!!! ITS THE BEST TRUCK EVER!!! IT KILLS THE FORD SPORT TRAC ANYDAY!!!

My 2nd 'yota
By NAD on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Decent power for a 4-banger, although I wish the V6 was offered at this trim level. Comfortable ride quality, superb ergonomics, solid build, and Toyota finally put some 15" rims on its 2WD trucks. Handles great with a load in the back, no noticeable change to braking characteristics. Transmission very solid, this thing feels like it could easily handle a V8. Second gear is way too high, especially compared to the fairly low-geared first. You can tell that the build quality is much cheaper on the 2002 compared to my 1986 'yota, yet it is still very solid compared to anything else. Gas mileage a bit lower than expected, 21 mpg street, 23 mpg highway. Nice truck, worth the money.

You have to love this truck
By Bert1124 on 04/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck!! A bit weak in quick excellerations. In that event it is better to switch off the over drive button. Overall: Fun, looks good, and is comfortable on long drives.

Excellent Truck
By Brian B on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had a Nissan truck for the last seven years and it was very good but this Toyota is great! I was concerned about the ablility to pull our 4,300 pound boat but it was no problem at all. I have owned several Toyota vehicles in the past and all provided years of trouble free service. I'm expecting to keep this one for at least 8 years. Almost bought a Ranger since they had such a low price and rebates until I started talking to people that have owned them and saw the poor rating for Ranger four wheel drives in Consumer Reports. Glad I checked it out plus I have had very bad luck with Fords in general.

What a Feeling!
By Dnoorg on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

No problems with truck, runs like a dream.

2001 Tacoma Extended Cab Limited Edition
By Smitty on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great truck, I had always wanted one and now I got it. I looked at a Dodge and a Chevy too but neither one matched the track record of a Toyota, not to mention the bang for the buck. It has a ton of Power for a V6, big bed, very roomy interior that is comfortable and quiet and it handles great in the snow! I liked it so much my best friend bought one too, and he loves it more than I do. Buy one, you won't be dissappointed!

Hard to beat
By Ro'Dilander on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I sat in all the available 4 door small pickups - both front AND back. I'm 6'2 and the Toyota was the only one I was comfortable in. I've since ridden long distances in the back with no problems. I could not bare the look of the Nissan truck - too much styling going on there. Ford SportTrac- there's something really wrong with the way that truck looks. Chevrolet -well it's a GM. This was my first Toyota and foreign car purchase.

'02 Xtracab Tacoma 4x4 4-cyl
By morvac on 04/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall excellent truck. 4 cyl a bit weak though. Good gas milage. Excellent ergos. Clock position a bit odd. Excellent road feel...very happy with purchase.