2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2002 Toyota Tacoma
By Ask sm1 who owns 1 on 02/02/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is great. Good MPG and quality. Wish I opted for 4x4. 133,000 miles and all I have done is routine maint, front brakes (rear brakes are original), 3 sets of tires and a muffler.

Not sure if it's worth it yet.......
By Former Ford Owner on 04/30/05 02:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Seems like a decent compact truck so far. Could use more power, a little pricy for what I got. Seems solid, though and a nice ride. I had a Ford Ranger previously (a 1991), and loved it. Could use a 3rd door on Xtra cab, Auto Tranny makes acceleration a bit sluggish at times. Who put the clock there? You can't see it from the driving position. And if you install a CD AND Cassette player, why wouldn't you provide storage for CD's as well?? Cassettes went out long ago, yet armrest has cassette storage area. Dual accessory power outlets a BIG plus! Overall, a nice ride....just not sure on the value... give me a couple of years.

Love my truck
By "C" on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 2003 Toyota SR5 Ext Cab.auto,PS,Air, Cruise Control. very satisfied with performance of vehicle.All vehicles are not up to the standards of the durability ofToyota........However, is the vehicle worth the hassel of being wary of salesmen/admin pushing to get as much money as they can?

kgs
By keith saunders on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

fuel econ 22, less than my 1990. needs more power if you tow/ go on hills very reliable,easy to drive not much dealing on price

Tacoma, Extended Cab.
By Ricko on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Toyota for years, but this is better than I thought it would be. The 4 cylinder engine is more than enough to get around with, with or without a cargo. I have seen reviews saying it is under powered, if you want a sports car, buy one! I love this little truck, looks good, drives good, all that a new car should be. Great vehicle, really nice.

Best Small Pick-Up on the Market
By jreid on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove Ford's, Mazda's Nissan's, & Dodge. I kept coming back to the Toyota. Best value for the money. Most dependable and reliable small pick on the market. You get what you pay for.

Surprising vehicle!
By Trish on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've always been a Honda driver. But after getting into this compact truck and driving it around, I was totally surprised! It's smooth, doesn't have a bulky "truck" feeling to it and it's so easy to manuever in and out of traffic. The seats are a little stiff but I really like the tilt steering wheel option. I've only accrued 200 miles on it so far, but I can't wait to test it on longer, highway trips! Working with the dealership was another surprising experience! Great guys!

Overall best truck I've had!!!!!
By Eddy on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.7 Liter could use some more power but the TRD supercharger, it feels like an 8 cyl. I also have a V-6 crew cab which it is really strong, powerful, and fast. Hoping to supercharge it soon!!!!!!

Consider your options....
By Kalhoun on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First off, the truck was delivered dirty and damaged. The salesman tried to clean the upholstry with paint cleaner. That ruined the drivers side seat. The area where the top of the cab connects with the side at the passenger window was not ground down and the weld joints are exceptionally noticable. The AC and heat "whistle" on the top two speed settings (unless set to highest or lowest settings). I wouldn't purchase another Tacoma.

My 2nd 'yota
By NAD on 04/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Decent power for a 4-banger, although I wish the V6 was offered at this trim level. Comfortable ride quality, superb ergonomics, solid build, and Toyota finally put some 15" rims on its 2WD trucks. Handles great with a load in the back, no noticeable change to braking characteristics. Transmission very solid, this thing feels like it could easily handle a V8. Second gear is way too high, especially compared to the fairly low-geared first. You can tell that the build quality is much cheaper on the 2002 compared to my 1986 'yota, yet it is still very solid compared to anything else. Gas mileage a bit lower than expected, 21 mpg street, 23 mpg highway. Nice truck, worth the money.