2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Solid taco
By comatoze on 08/27/10 00:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2.4 L not strong , mpg is only around 24 hwy/21 combined. cab is small/tight. overall durable, dependable & you can't really ever go wrong with a yota.

8 1/2 Years and Goin' Strong
By TruckLuvr on 08/13/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I had lusted a red Toyota 4x4 Xtracab since I was in college, and my wife and I could finally afford to buy this one new TRD off the lot. We've taken into the most inhospitable places in the Colorado high country, moved out of two houses with it, landscaped innumerable lots with it, and added kids to the mix in between all the rest. It's been flawless overall, and we still love it dearly after 8 1/2 years. Given, the interior is small for a child seat and two 5'10 and over adults. Yes, there are a few rattles, it gets < 20 mpg, and rides like a buckboard wagon. But, it's a go-anywhere truck that always works. We've never regretted buying it, even once.

Impressed overall since purchased
By mcarthur55 on 05/20/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Put most of the miles on it during the past 6 years (highway miles) driving 300 miles one way every 3-4 weeks. Since January 2010 have only put about 1200 miles on it. Comfortable for a tall person like me, and handles well. Economy was between 22-24 MPG, but got 26 a couple of times when my driving was below 60mph. Averaged 20 mpg around town. Height of truck bed low enough for carrying small loads and loading fertilizer, chicken feed, mulch in (50-60 pound bags). Selling it at 115,000 miles. Transmission went out at 78,900, but had purchased extended waranty, which covered replacement and rental car. Enjoyed truck, but can't carry new grand kids in it.

It's a Toyota
By Rainman on 07/03/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Toyota P/U. Purchased because dependability. I've been disappointed with the fuel mileage, 20mpg. Wish Toyota would go back to manual hubs and offer a small diesel in the US. For its size, it can't be beat for performance and overall satisfaction.

Good truck
By Ericm on 04/26/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 02. No mechanical problems, only issue was rattle in dash. 4WD is great! Decent MPG for a v6 4WD ~19 overall.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
By Ask sm1 who owns 1 on 02/02/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is great. Good MPG and quality. Wish I opted for 4x4. 133,000 miles and all I have done is routine maint, front brakes (rear brakes are original), 3 sets of tires and a muffler.

One Great Truck
By Bo on 10/24/08 12:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my fourth Toyota pickup and I love it. I went with a 4cyl this time and the power is fine. I'm getting a average of 23 or 24 mpg. I'm a sales rep and drive about 30,000 miles a year. So far since I bought this in may I have placed 16,000 miles in less than six months and no problem what so ever. This model with the 4cyl, x-cab, trd package is the best Tacoma I've had thus far. I highly recommend it.

Solid little truck
By John on 07/22/08 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The Tacoma is a respectable little truck. In 6 years I've put 75000 miles on it and only had to change tires, the battery, coolant, and oil. One thing in particular, is the steering has never gotten out of alignment, I had it checked when I replaced the OEM tires. It was right on. That was at 35000 miles. It is reliable, but slightly underpowered for its weight. It only gets about 18 mpg overall; in a range from 15 to 25 mpg. The interior is appealing except the seats are too lightweight. A seat spring makes noise sometimes. It also needs keyless entry. The headlights have never been changed and have been burning for 75000 miles! Same goes for other lights too. I've had no major problems

Nice truck
By mike on 03/01/08 21:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have had no problems with truck other than the average wear and tear of use. No rust and it's now 3/1/08. Have owned 3 toyotas and this is the best. Recommend and will purchase another. 4WD works great.

My Truck
By Schotts631 on 01/17/07 07:44 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and besides a replaced power steering pump (under warranty) I have had no mechanical issues. Toyota quality is second to none. Only gripes I have is the placement of the clock, and a jittery ride over bad pavement, and mediocre gas mileage (18 mpg avg.) but hey, its a truck. Stock tires were crap and after replacing them with bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's the handling improved greatly. This truck has never let me down, and I'll probably have it forever. Its still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. It always pays to have a great pickup.