Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

The styling of this truck is probably my favorite feature, followed closely by its reliability. It was the look of this body style that made me choose it over the new model. I love the look of the fender flares fitted over the larger off-road tires, the rounded styling of the hood, grille, and body, and the way it sits high off the ground even though it is a smaller truck. The interior is comfortable and clean, and despite me liking the newer Tacoma interior a bit more, this one has been more pleasing than I thought it would be. Road trips have been very comfortable every time. Above all, it is a tough truck, and takes a beating, even though I usually tend to baby it (as it is my baby).

The only things I would improve on this truck would be the placement of the clock (it is mostly hidden by the steering wheel when you are driving), and maybe adding a little more power (although the 190 horsepower V6 does very well, no doubt). The new Tacoma V6 has about 235 horsepower, which I sometimes wish this truck had. I plan to add a TRD supercharger someday which should put it easily in the mid-200hp range, as well as a 3" lift, slightly larger tires and custom wheels, nothing larger than 17", and chrome nerf bars. Other than that, this truck needs no improvements. It is a model for what other trucks should be.

Bigger Is Not Always Better
By Flavellinator

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at many new trucks and was not impressed. Sure, they're larger, faster, and hold more things, but that's not what I needed. I didn't want the worry of fitting into a small parking space, or making a U-turn, or driving on a narrow road. I needed a truck that held four people comfortably while still being able to haul my stuff, rode well, and was dependable. So I backtracked and purchased a used Tacoma. What a great decision! Its design is outstanding; the sightlines from sitting up high are fantastic. Gas mileage is good. It's comfortable too. Not everyone wants a big truck; it's a mistake that they removed this size of vehicle from the market, so get a good used one while you can.

Nice design. Fit and finish second to none. Smooth acceleration and handling. Versatile. Excellent sightlines from seat position. Standard Toyota dependability.

Needs body side moldings - it dings easily. Stiff ride, but it is a truck so don't be surprised. The clock should have been combined with the stereo (duh!); its location is horrible. Uncomfortable front seats for long trips

great truck fun to drive
By Jesse Gonzalez

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my tacoma for a 2 year and what 2 year it has been. The tacoma is a great truck that I would recomend to anyone. Its TRD package is great when going off road, its v6 engine is very powerfull I have towed my 22 foot boat without a problem. It has good leg space in front as well in the rear. The differential lock is great when you ever need to get out of a muddy place. Its ground clearence is more than enough to go over a few step hills. Overall the tacoma is and extrodinary truck with its great engeneering and its Reliability is fanominal. The only downfall is its clock, make it a little more visable.

Its power to tow, great suspension, awesome radio, comfortable seats, good leg room, its great off-roading capbilities, and its RELIABILITY!

move the clock to where its a little more visable when driving

Great truck
By Cedric

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma now for 3 and a half years and I couldn't be happier. It meets my everyday needs and is very reliable. I've towed several heaviy loads in excess of 4000 lds several hundred miles without any problems. Highway ride is comfortable and road noise is at a minimum. Off road I haven't gotten into anything that I couldn't drive myself out of with the rear locker the comes with TRD package. Wheel travel and groung clerance have never been an issue even with the factory suspension. The only downfall I can think of is the bed size, would like it to be bigger. With a standard size toolbox there is not much bed space left.

Reliability!

All the improvements I can think of have been made in the new generation Tacoma.

Cool Truck
By MikeyG

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great looking truck inside and out. I like the ground clearance and have good visibility. I'm 6'3" and there is plenty of head room inside the cab. It's comfortable and has a good amount of storage inside. I haven't had any problems with my Tacoma. I've only had to do the regular scheduled maintence. I would highly recommend the Tacoma to anyone in the market for a quality pick-up. I also suggest that you go with the V6 over the 4-cylinder.

I love the body style and it's fun to drive - even when just going to work or around town.

Move the clock already. Better gas mileage would be on everyone's "wish list".