Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Fantastic!
By Shane Keenan

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck was my first car i had a 2002 Tacoma TRD off-road limited and it ran with 258,000 miles on it until i rolled it into a ditch, and even after the accident the cab stayed intact, i landed upside down and all that affected the cab was the center of the windshield and the sunroof bent in a few inches. Would not own any other truck!

No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

The styling of this truck is probably my favorite feature, followed closely by its reliability. It was the look of this body style that made me choose it over the new model. I love the look of the fender flares fitted over the larger off-road tires, the rounded styling of the hood, grille, and body, and the way it sits high off the ground even though it is a smaller truck. The interior is comfortable and clean, and despite me liking the newer Tacoma interior a bit more, this one has been more pleasing than I thought it would be. Road trips have been very comfortable every time. Above all, it is a tough truck, and takes a beating, even though I usually tend to baby it (as it is my baby).

The only things I would improve on this truck would be the placement of the clock (it is mostly hidden by the steering wheel when you are driving), and maybe adding a little more power (although the 190 horsepower V6 does very well, no doubt). The new Tacoma V6 has about 235 horsepower, which I sometimes wish this truck had. I plan to add a TRD supercharger someday which should put it easily in the mid-200hp range, as well as a 3" lift, slightly larger tires and custom wheels, nothing larger than 17", and chrome nerf bars. Other than that, this truck needs no improvements. It is a model for what other trucks should be.

Blown Engine but still like it
By houstonwarren2

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since it was new. 4 cylinder, full 4-door model. The fuel economy sits around 19mpg highway fairly consistently. For the first 53k miles I abused the heck out of this truck. It is a gutless 4banger so I would push it to just over 100mph by pushing the OD/off on the shifter to drop a gear in order to get over 100. This was nearly every day for my commute because I literally am always running late. The minimum was 90mph (toll road 17 miles to work). Under the powertrain warranty I carved out cylinders 1 and 3, so I was given a new short-block and new lease on life. Ever since, I don't even let this thing slip into overdrive and baby her. See (improvements)

My boat weighs around 3500 lbs with the trailer and this 4 cylinder can pull it out of the water on the boat ramp! Emergency brake on, slow release with gas applied and she creeps out every time (steep ramp). I don't tow it far (1 mile) and really take er' easy under way. I'm pretty impressed.

The 4 cylinder is over-weight and under powered. I would have opted for the 6 if I could do-over. I never wash this thing but the finish is holding up very well. I have done nothing to this vehicle other than oil change and an A/C charge thus far. Transmission needs flushing I'm sure! 130,500 miles!

It's half mountain goat
By jill

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little truck, it's civilized enough for every day driving, but when we go into the sticks - we go off road for hundreds of miles. It can rock crawl, stump jump, plow through 1ft of snow, is surefooted in freezing rain. One year it was so icy I couldn't walk without falling - but I could drive! Totally reliable tough little truck. I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. I can haul plenty too - LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

Its offroad capability, and agility. A breeze in a cramped parking lot. Great visibility.

I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. Has had a rattle in the dash for years, remote is hinky.

Till the End
By Tawcoma26

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No matter what I throw at this truck, it gets the job done. Fits 5 people nicely, and you can still throw stuff in the bed. Although more pwr from the 4cyl would be nice, it still gets the job done. Mud, snow, sand, dirt, nothing can stop this truck. For the price you pay, you get one hell of a truck that can conquer anything. Pull, push, haul, it does it with reliability. From its great design to the ease of use in the cabin, this trucks a winner and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Offroad capability is definitely its best feature, ease of use, solid build, 4 full size drs, aftermarket background, and its good looks. Also the reliability that comes with the truck.

4cyl power, better gas mpg on 4cyl.