2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85 on 10/26/11 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

Blown Engine but still like it
By houstonwarren2 on 08/21/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since it was new. 4 cylinder, full 4-door model. The fuel economy sits around 19mpg highway fairly consistently. For the first 53k miles I abused the heck out of this truck. It is a gutless 4banger so I would push it to just over 100mph by pushing the OD/off on the shifter to drop a gear in order to get over 100. This was nearly every day for my commute because I literally am always running late. The minimum was 90mph (toll road 17 miles to work). Under the powertrain warranty I carved out cylinders 1 and 3, so I was given a new short-block and new lease on life. Ever since, I don't even let this thing slip into overdrive and baby her. See (improvements)

It's half mountain goat
By jill on 12/20/09 21:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little truck, it's civilized enough for every day driving, but when we go into the sticks - we go off road for hundreds of miles. It can rock crawl, stump jump, plow through 1ft of snow, is surefooted in freezing rain. One year it was so icy I couldn't walk without falling - but I could drive! Totally reliable tough little truck. I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. I can haul plenty too - LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

Till the End
By Tawcoma26 on 01/09/09 01:06 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No matter what I throw at this truck, it gets the job done. Fits 5 people nicely, and you can still throw stuff in the bed. Although more pwr from the 4cyl would be nice, it still gets the job done. Mud, snow, sand, dirt, nothing can stop this truck. For the price you pay, you get one hell of a truck that can conquer anything. Pull, push, haul, it does it with reliability. From its great design to the ease of use in the cabin, this trucks a winner and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Gotta Love'em
By bill m. on 12/21/08 19:58 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck (and my 3rd Toyota truck), dependable and ready for just about anything. 4WD works great! Extremely low maintenance.

Nothing fancy just works
By Robbty on 05/06/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing fancy just works. I have owned this truck for 6+ years and have nothing but great experiences with it. The thing just starts and runs every day without exception.

Love it.
By Ryan on 01/29/08 10:19 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4 doors are great and I don't find the size of the bed to be an issue. Reliable, handles well, especially in snow. Not the most comfortable ride on bumpy dirt roads, but fine on the highway. I highly recommend it.

Bigger Is Not Always Better
By Flavellinator on 06/23/07 11:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I looked at many new trucks and was not impressed. Sure, they're larger, faster, and hold more things, but that's not what I needed. I didn't want the worry of fitting into a small parking space, or making a U-turn, or driving on a narrow road. I needed a truck that held four people comfortably while still being able to haul my stuff, rode well, and was dependable. So I backtracked and purchased a used Tacoma. What a great decision! Its design is outstanding; the sightlines from sitting up high are fantastic. Gas mileage is good. It's comfortable too. Not everyone wants a big truck; it's a mistake that they removed this size of vehicle from the market, so get a good used one while you can.

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi on 02/21/07 20:26 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer on 11/29/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.