Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Blown Engine but still like it
By houstonwarren2

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since it was new. 4 cylinder, full 4-door model. The fuel economy sits around 19mpg highway fairly consistently. For the first 53k miles I abused the heck out of this truck. It is a gutless 4banger so I would push it to just over 100mph by pushing the OD/off on the shifter to drop a gear in order to get over 100. This was nearly every day for my commute because I literally am always running late. The minimum was 90mph (toll road 17 miles to work). Under the powertrain warranty I carved out cylinders 1 and 3, so I was given a new short-block and new lease on life. Ever since, I don't even let this thing slip into overdrive and baby her. See (improvements)

Favorite Features

My boat weighs around 3500 lbs with the trailer and this 4 cylinder can pull it out of the water on the boat ramp! Emergency brake on, slow release with gas applied and she creeps out every time (steep ramp). I don't tow it far (1 mile) and really take er' easy under way. I'm pretty impressed.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder is over-weight and under powered. I would have opted for the 6 if I could do-over. I never wash this thing but the finish is holding up very well. I have done nothing to this vehicle other than oil change and an A/C charge thus far. Transmission needs flushing I'm sure! 130,500 miles!

Till the End
By Tawcoma26

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No matter what I throw at this truck, it gets the job done. Fits 5 people nicely, and you can still throw stuff in the bed. Although more pwr from the 4cyl would be nice, it still gets the job done. Mud, snow, sand, dirt, nothing can stop this truck. For the price you pay, you get one hell of a truck that can conquer anything. Pull, push, haul, it does it with reliability. From its great design to the ease of use in the cabin, this trucks a winner and I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Favorite Features

Offroad capability is definitely its best feature, ease of use, solid build, 4 full size drs, aftermarket background, and its good looks. Also the reliability that comes with the truck.

Suggested Improvements

4cyl power, better gas mpg on 4cyl.

Great Quality
By rolltide

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

So far so good! The quality on the Toyota product is top notch! Haven;t had one problem except that the clock is positioned in the wrong place and hard to see. The interior has held up very well especially with kids, animals and the frequent trip to the beach.

Suggested Improvements

Reposition the clock, possible improved gas mileage and more reature comforts like outside temp readings, gas mileage indicator, etc...

Wasen't Looking
By Diana

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I wasen't considering this truck until I drove it. I must confess my narrowness of mind while shopping and only looking at the full size trucks. I love this truck and I would purchase another one without hesitation. It also fits into my garage easier than the big trucks which was a safety/security concern for me.

Favorite Features

The smaller size, economy, manuverability, fit and finish, quality, and chances are it won't leak.

Suggested Improvements

I guess if I had to change something it would be the relocation of the clock. It is somewhat difficult to see from the driver position.