Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

8 1/2 Years and Goin' Strong
By TruckLuvr

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I had lusted a red Toyota 4x4 Xtracab since I was in college, and my wife and I could finally afford to buy this one new TRD off the lot. We've taken into the most inhospitable places in the Colorado high country, moved out of two houses with it, landscaped innumerable lots with it, and added kids to the mix in between all the rest. It's been flawless overall, and we still love it dearly after 8 1/2 years. Given, the interior is small for a child seat and two 5'10 and over adults. Yes, there are a few rattles, it gets < 20 mpg, and rides like a buckboard wagon. But, it's a go-anywhere truck that always works. We've never regretted buying it, even once.

Favorite Features

Goes anywhere. Carries lots. Always works. What more could we want?

Suggested Improvements

None. The '02 was the pinnacle of the Tacomas. The new ones only have 9" or so of running clearance; the older style like ours has almost 12". Toyota at its best.

Good truck
By Ericm

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 02. No mechanical problems, only issue was rattle in dash. 4WD is great! Decent MPG for a v6 4WD ~19 overall.

Nice truck
By mike

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have had no problems with truck other than the average wear and tear of use. No rust and it's now 3/1/08. Have owned 3 toyotas and this is the best. Recommend and will purchase another. 4WD works great.

Favorite Features

4WD on the fly. Size.

Suggested Improvements

Better defrost. Never needed it until I moved to Maine. On really, really cold days defrost only works up to @ 6-8 inches above steering wheel. Wish there was a diesel option.

My Truck
By Schotts631

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and besides a replaced power steering pump (under warranty) I have had no mechanical issues. Toyota quality is second to none. Only gripes I have is the placement of the clock, and a jittery ride over bad pavement, and mediocre gas mileage (18 mpg avg.) but hey, its a truck. Stock tires were crap and after replacing them with bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's the handling improved greatly. This truck has never let me down, and I'll probably have it forever. Its still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. It always pays to have a great pickup.

Favorite Features

Size. Its much easier to park this thing than a full size chevy or ford or even tundra.

Suggested Improvements

New tires hands down. Maybe add the TRD supercharger. I would if I had money to blow.

great truck
By Gary

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have found not problems with the truck. when needed the 4 wheel drive is indispensible. have never been stuck and vehicle always starts. Installed an engine block heater for cold climates.

Favorite Features

4 wheel drive. good highway truck