2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
GAS HOG and high insurance rating
By willysworker on 06/10/08 10:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Tacoma PreRunner new with 2.7 L motor and automatic transmission. It has 97,000 miles and has been a gas hog. Never gotten over 22 MPG. Loaded and doing 65 MPH on interstate it averages near 18 MPG. It also has a higher than normal insurance rating even with my excellent driving record.

At 95K it's still truckin'
By Distance Driver on 08/02/05 03:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Approaching 95,000 miles and my 2.7L 4 cyl is still zooming along. No let up in the power though I pause for thought when the truck seems to "lurch" at stop lights. It gets warmed up and everything seems to gell for the rest of my drive. Light weight so it can be too bouncey even in the highway and a challenge to control in wind driven rain. Pleased with the quality and had no really expensive or repeated problems. Pretty much the next 50K miles is make or break for me buying another Toyota since I've had less expensive Fords make it to this point just fine. I expect to be driving my '02 at 150K so here's hoping I see many more miles and that the next one is a Texas-made Tundra.

nice truck
By Helo pilot on 07/17/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

No issues after 3 harddriving years! Love the design of the truck. Chrome bumpers. The overall reputation for quality is holding up. Seats alittle uncomfortable on long hauls. Extra features costly. Clock placement is a joke. Very happy with truck.

Had a good truck
By filmelf on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This truck of mine was a great truck with a notible exception or two. 1. The gas and break pedels are to close to the seat (bucket seats). The clock could not be read and would be best if placed where the airbag key control is. The side bar in the door saveed me from serious injury when T-Boned by another car.