Used 2002 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2002 Tacoma
By Ron Huffman

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Tacoma is a regular cab short wheelbase 2WD with 2.4 L and automatic. It is fun to drive and very manuverable. It can haul the load when asked and gets fairly respectable gas mileage (20-24 mpg). I made several cross country trips with a loaded bed and it has performed just great.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are reliability, fun to drive and it still looks like new after all these miles.

Suggested Improvements

Suggested improvement is make the Tacoma run like the Camry 4 cylinder.

Fun to drive
By Rizzo

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I really enjoy driving this truck. I highly recomend the Tacoma truck. It drives great and is affordable. My new quad fits perfectly in the back. Good quality.

Favorite Features

Small truck nice 2.4l motor.

Suggested Improvements

Lift it baby 6" fabtech with 31's

Inexpensive Workhorse
By euroeric

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck has done everything I've asked of it- from towing over 4000 lbs to hauling engines to commuting to the hospital and back. An awesome truck all around, my next truck will be another Toyota (in about 15 years- at this rate this thing will last forever). It handled poorly on the stock tires in rain, but since I swapped them recently, it has improved greatly.

Favorite Features

the new motor is a great little 4 cylinder- good power, great mileage, and durable as all heck. The exterior styling is cool, too.

Suggested Improvements

A tape deck?!? Come on, this is the 21st century guys... make a CD standard for once and make everyone else follow. I don't know anyone that actually plays tapes in cars- it's a waste of your customers' money installing them

Tacoma - Good Solid Truck
By Hundarion

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle to do general type hauling on the weekends for gardening & home improvement work. This vehicle is well suited for these tasks. I appreciate the fine lines on the body of this truck, especially the front end. I test drove several other compact trucks and felt the tacoma gave the best ride. The truck handles well with adequate power for a 4 cylinder. I do experience the whistle in my A/C that some other reviewers have complained about but no other complaints. This is the 3rd Toyota vehicle I have owned and I hope my Tacoma provides the same reliability and problem free performance as my previous two vehicles.

Favorite Features

Very nice body style on the Tacoma. The automatic transmission is very smooth and far superior to the Saturn SL2 that I owned before I purchased the Tacoma.

Suggested Improvements

The pricing on the Tacoma is higher than comparable vehicles but the truck is barebones. Putting a clock in the truck and upgrading the bench seat cloth would be a good start. Adding some coin storage or small storage area by the center cup holders would help as well.

Love Toyotas
By 3rdToyotaBought

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great truck....paid 12600 for the truck...for the money i gained a lot of truck and reliability..new truck