2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
No other truck comes close
By libraryguy85 on 10/26/11 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is the most complete and downright solid truck I have ever owned and probably ever will own. I bought this truck used because I liked the second generation body style better than the new ones, and it has not disappointed in any way. I've wanted one since I was in high school, back when I drove a '96 Nissan hardbody pickup, and about 8 years later, I had a TRD 4 door in my driveway, ironically almost the same color (Impulse Red Pearl) as the Nissan. I never thought I'd find a better truck than my first, but I was wrong. This truck is perfect in every way and never lets me down. It has about 108K on the odometer and many miles to go. Keep up the good work, Toyota!

Solid taco
By comatoze on 08/27/10 00:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2.4 L not strong , mpg is only around 24 hwy/21 combined. cab is small/tight. overall durable, dependable & you can't really ever go wrong with a yota.

Blown Engine but still like it
By houstonwarren2 on 08/21/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this truck since it was new. 4 cylinder, full 4-door model. The fuel economy sits around 19mpg highway fairly consistently. For the first 53k miles I abused the heck out of this truck. It is a gutless 4banger so I would push it to just over 100mph by pushing the OD/off on the shifter to drop a gear in order to get over 100. This was nearly every day for my commute because I literally am always running late. The minimum was 90mph (toll road 17 miles to work). Under the powertrain warranty I carved out cylinders 1 and 3, so I was given a new short-block and new lease on life. Ever since, I don't even let this thing slip into overdrive and baby her. See (improvements)

8 1/2 Years and Goin' Strong
By TruckLuvr on 08/13/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I had lusted a red Toyota 4x4 Xtracab since I was in college, and my wife and I could finally afford to buy this one new TRD off the lot. We've taken into the most inhospitable places in the Colorado high country, moved out of two houses with it, landscaped innumerable lots with it, and added kids to the mix in between all the rest. It's been flawless overall, and we still love it dearly after 8 1/2 years. Given, the interior is small for a child seat and two 5'10 and over adults. Yes, there are a few rattles, it gets < 20 mpg, and rides like a buckboard wagon. But, it's a go-anywhere truck that always works. We've never regretted buying it, even once.

Impressed overall since purchased
By mcarthur55 on 05/20/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Put most of the miles on it during the past 6 years (highway miles) driving 300 miles one way every 3-4 weeks. Since January 2010 have only put about 1200 miles on it. Comfortable for a tall person like me, and handles well. Economy was between 22-24 MPG, but got 26 a couple of times when my driving was below 60mph. Averaged 20 mpg around town. Height of truck bed low enough for carrying small loads and loading fertilizer, chicken feed, mulch in (50-60 pound bags). Selling it at 115,000 miles. Transmission went out at 78,900, but had purchased extended waranty, which covered replacement and rental car. Enjoyed truck, but can't carry new grand kids in it.

Still Going Strong
By Barnone on 04/26/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new, 91,000 miles now, just put new front drakes pads, that's it for repairs. The tires lasted 60,000 miles. About 20 MPG highway or city. Not great but OK. Runs and drives very good.

It's half mountain goat
By jill on 12/20/09 21:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little truck, it's civilized enough for every day driving, but when we go into the sticks - we go off road for hundreds of miles. It can rock crawl, stump jump, plow through 1ft of snow, is surefooted in freezing rain. One year it was so icy I couldn't walk without falling - but I could drive! Totally reliable tough little truck. I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. I can haul plenty too - LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

It's a Toyota
By Rainman on 07/03/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Toyota P/U. Purchased because dependability. I've been disappointed with the fuel mileage, 20mpg. Wish Toyota would go back to manual hubs and offer a small diesel in the US. For its size, it can't be beat for performance and overall satisfaction.

Good truck
By Ericm on 04/26/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 02. No mechanical problems, only issue was rattle in dash. 4WD is great! Decent MPG for a v6 4WD ~19 overall.

2002 Toyota Tacoma
By Ask sm1 who owns 1 on 02/02/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is great. Good MPG and quality. Wish I opted for 4x4. 133,000 miles and all I have done is routine maint, front brakes (rear brakes are original), 3 sets of tires and a muffler.