I love this truck
By Scott on
2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
I have used this truck extensively offroad, mostly desert driving. Swapped stock shocks (I ruined them very quickly) for Bilsteins, huge difference. This truck performs extremely well offroad if not driven beyond its limits, yet still maintains a quality ride on-road for a 4x4. The only problem I've had is the cruise control stopped working around 40,000 miles. I have also used it since new as a tow vehicle for a desert race car and even though beyond capacity, am still impressed with how well it tows. The rear leaves are starting to sag, but only because of overloading. I plan to keep this truck forever. Toyota fan for life!
Favorite Features
5-speed transmission with 2.7 liter performs amazingly well. Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive is also a fantastic feature. I cannot say enough about how well this truck works offroad. I consider it to be the best looking Toyota truck ever made.
Suggested Improvements
Stock shock absorbers were very weak. Gas mileage should be better for a 4-cyl. Clock placement is horrible. Inner tailgate could have been made sturdier. Headlight lenses have gotten somewhat opaque.