Good little truck
By john in GA on
2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
It's a great truck for the work commute. About 22mpg. Then, when I need it - hauling furniture, groceries, lumber, propane, gravel, yard work, etc. There's some room for stuff behind the seat, and while a full car seat would be tight, my 4 year old fits well in a booster seat behind the passenger seat. I was also surprised to find it can haul U-Haul's largest trailer straight on the bumper, just had to buy the ball and lights. I've kept up with the maintenance schedule and have only had to replace things I've actually physically broken (advice: don't drop a tree near your truck, it may hurt the paint job.)
Favorite Features
It's a truck. Low maintenance cost. Decent acceleration /speed (wife has one ticket, I've been lucky) Strong bumper for towing. Decent sized truck bed. Xtra cab can store stuff you don't want to expose to the elements - bread, laptop, your child.
Suggested Improvements
Don't rely on the tires that came with the truck. They slip in rain. Got a set of Michelins, haven't slipped since. Clock is in a bad place. Get a net and bungy cords.