Good but not great
By DD on
2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)
First of all, let me say this has been a really good truck, so if this sounds like a negative review, these are relatively minor points. Gas mileage has been a disappointment for a V6: 15- 17 combined city/highway. I have a bit of a lead foot, but still, when I see full-size Fords and Chevys advertising 20 mpg with V8s, I cringe. Also, not as sure-footed as I'd like in snow and ice. Interior: The rubber inserts have all cracked and fallen out of the cup holders. And last, despite fastidious care, my rear chrome bumper has started to rust. Those negatives aside, this truck has gone all over with poise and confidence. Also, your picture's wrong; 2001 models had a different grille.
Favorite Features
Toyota reliability, has allowed me to drive this truck from Pennsylvania to North Dakota to Alabama to Florida with no fear of breakdown. No rattles, no drama, no suspense, it just goes.
Suggested Improvements
Third door would be nice for loading groceries, etc. Clock placement should be up on dash, not buried under steering wheel. My next truck will probably seat 4.