2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Tacoma Fun
By tucked on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It is the best vehicle I have ever had! It's V6 is powerful, pulling my 8' trailer & ATV,no problem. The bed is short(ATV won't fit) but That is what made it appealing. Lots of rear leg room (more than our Rav4). Has gone anywhere that I have attempted. Winter driving is great in 4WD, but slides alot in 2WD. Couldn't get enough sandbags for 2WD. This is the only vehicle that I've ever had for 2 years... and am still in love with! Oh yeah... the one thing that has been a problem; The front end is out of alignment already. Possibly due to the off-road driving that it has seen, but possibly due to Missouri's CRAP they give us, and call a highway system.

If I had to do over, I would
By Kev on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first truck that I've even owned and I love it. Father had a 87 with over 300K and I got tired of borrowing it. (excuse I gave the wife) Saw the 4 door and fell in love. Last one on the lot, test drove it, came back and asked where do I sign.

4X4 TACOMA
By JACOB on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE FUEL ECONOMY, BUT WHEN I REALIZED THE TOWING AND HAULING CAPACITY, I UNDERSTOOD WHY THE FUEL MILEAGE IS WHAT IT IS. THE TRUCK HAS A 4:10 AXLE RATIO THAT KILLS ANY HOPE OF GETTING 18+ MPG(WHICH IS WHAT I HAD BEFORE THIS). BUT POWER, PERFORMANCE AND A GOOD SET OF MUD TIRES MADE UP FOR MY DISAPPOINTMENT. I CAN'T WAIT TO INSTALL MY TRD SUPERCHARGER AND GET EVEN LESS FUEL ECONOMY, BUT A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN.

As Advertised
By bearcrkrd on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, Thanksgiving weekend 2000. The reviews at that time of CR and Edmunds, especially Edmunds, were very accurate for the base model, 5spd, regular cab. I had a cold start problem about a month after purchase. Had it happen again about a year later. Learned to hold gas pedal down all the way while turning engine over. It starts about 10+ seconds later, sputters and smells for maybe 20 seconds, with small amount of light colored smoke just after starting. Then runs like nothing happened. These two incidents are it. The vehicle is mechanically new, with very little cosmetic damage.

Almost Like my Last One
By S-Runnin'_SoCal on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Replaced my 1990 SR5 V6-XtraCab 5-Sp 4X2 w/150,000 miles with a new one, but the closest thing to it Toyota makes to replace it is the S-Runner. The interior on the old one used higher quality materials. The 2001 has thin cheap plastic all through the interior. The '90 had all analog gauges. The new model goes with more idiot lights. No rattles on the '90 even after 150,000 logged on the clock. My 2001 S-Runner rattles like crazy right out of the box. The gearing on the S-Runner is too tall, requiring a lot of clutch slipping to get rolling. I like the new engine on the S-Runner, but I wish I had my old SR5- V6 back.

toyota truck
By Biker on 03/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

very good reliability, it feels a little cheap compared to american builders. 4 wheel drive system works very good. The body could be stronger and seats should have more support and comfort for us big guys.

GREAT TRUCK!
By jacki on 03/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I'm the new owner of a 2001 Tacoma with less than 13000 miles. It's my second Toyota truck and I am very pleased!!Automatic , "4 banger", real clean and with a new car warranty - WOW!! Just what I wanted!! JACK

TRD
By jim wilbanks on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The truck is beautiful and fun to drive. It handles all road conditions well.

Taco lover...
By elendil on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my tacoma! I've driven alot of trucks, and this one is the best by far. Even with the I4, it has an adequate amount of power with the 5spd. I would recommmend it to anyone who is looking for a good, reliable truck. I have over 32,000 miles on it, and no problems!

What a great truck
By Wright on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is a great truck - I truly enjoy driving it.