Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Truck!
By ocnfront

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

A bullet proof truck!! This is the best truck that I have every driven. I use it daily to drive to work and it always a great ride. The prerunner crew cab is the only way to go! My wife will drive it in a hot minute.

Crew cab with four doors is the only way to go.

It could use more leg room in the front.

Toyota has a new permanent customer
By wutroad

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this truck, bought new. It was totalled in 9/2005 with 148129 miles on it. I was towing a car with a dolly, a tire blew, i fishtailed, and rolled twice at 65 mph and walked away with a seat-belt bruise. The officers on scene almost didn't believe that i was even in the vehicle, as i was not injured. During the 4 years I had it, I traveled extensively throughout the US (42 States), Canada and Mexico-- all weather and terrain. I never once felt that my Tacoma was going to fail me. I changed the oil and did other maintenance religiously. I do not recommend the do-it-yourselfer attempt to replace the timing belt without any prior experience. Replaced with 2003 AccessCab 4x4, equally happy.

The versatility of having a truck, but have passengers comfortably. The towing power for such a small truck. Towed car loaded with possessions to NYC, another truck to Washington State, and moved someone to Seattle. Never had a problem, even loaded I could count on acceleration and handling.

Like others have said, move the clock. Upgrade map light/mirror mount combination that has been in use since at least 1992. I pulled the one from my wrecked Tacoma and put it in my brothers 92 4-Runner. Color doesn't match, but it works and fits perfectly.

Super Truck
By Racin Rus

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have own this truck for 4 years now and still love it. The sporty lines are awesome and the drivability is great and has plenty of ponies to get around people when I need to go. Handling is the best feature on this truck. I would reccommend this truck to anyone looking for a fun to drive small truck. Only draw-back is I am 6'4" and could use more headroom, but tilt the seat back a little and I make it work.

Fun to drive

More Headroom

Great truck
By kevin

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my double cab tacoma new in June of 2001. It has never been in the shop for a repair. Currently have 85000 miles on it. The seats feel a little flatter than they used to, but other than that, I love it.

versatility, will go through anything

seats, clock placement, 4wheel drive lever placement. Maybe a front locker option to go with the rear locker?

Best truck to date for ownership
By Southerngator

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Fun truck to drive, great gas mileage for the horse power to weight ratio w/ the 2.7 four cylinder engine. Wife would love to steal it from me if she had the chance! Best investment for the reliability & quality, only had to change out the org. set tires w/ normal maintenance. I purchased the truck second hand from the local dealer, (after searching the web), got a great deal! Third door would have been nice addition, missing fm my model, but I still would recommend it!

The off-road suspension and handling makes the every day drive enjoyable.

Third door & move the clock.