2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
o.k. but???
By rob368 on 12/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the truck for reliability and better mileage, hopefully for a truck. So far the best I can get is 18 mpg aver. I have done all maintenance including a tune-up and the six still does not idle smooth. power steering pump is noisy, and there is a delay in trans shifting in overdrive. seems to slip a bit when off and on gas when at freeway speed. positive is no leaks, very tight. Overall an ok. truck, but not the quality I expected it to be especially after my friend now has 180k on his 86' with no problems. I feel toyotas quality has gone down hill, cutting corners to save money. Give me old quality with modern looks and I would give nothing but 10's.

Not quite a LEMON
By old_jr on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Toyota Tacoma 4WD V6 5SPD extended cab. This pickup is a big disappointment. It has NO power. The drive train is sloppy and the manual transmission "clunks" when shifting from to 1st to 2nd. The differential and transfer case were only half full (checked by private mechanic). This was found after I noticed a high- pitched whine on the highway. Dealer said all fluid levels were okay??? Rear bumper rusted severely first winter. Noisy - can't hear the radio above 45 mph. This Tacoma can't compare at all with the 1987 SR5 4cyl 5spd I owned for eleven years. I made a mistake and bought the 2001 Tacoma based on my experience with the 1987.

My first truck
By Mark McKee on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 2.4L Automatic Tacoma has been a blast to own and drive. While it's not the tire- burning monster of a musclecar, it gets me to where I want to go in comfort. On 9+hr trips my back doesn't hurt and that's a good sign. Mechanically this thing is great. I expect many many years and 200,000+ miles of trouble-free service out of this vehicle. This was my first NEW vehicle purchase and the whole experience with Toyota and my Toyota dealer has been positive. I would purchase it again, and recommend this truck to anyone who's wanting to get an inexpensive (but nice) truck.

2001 tacoma
By usaf on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Dash rattles BAD,paint peeled on front bumper,poor OEM tires. Now the good-----too many things to list great reliability, handles well , air work great

Really nice truck
By Tommy T on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Love this truck! I have two kids and a very large dog and we all fit comfortably. I have driven over 65,000 miles in two years without a problem. The clock cannot be seen because of its location in relation to the steering wheel, and accessing the arm rest console cannot be easily done. Overall a great truck!

Great Truck
By Nrsheikh on 09/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this thing. Handels any situation great, drives decent, good off road drive, really great.

Tacoma and me
By terd on 09/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

my d-cab has a real truck feel, I mean I can feel every bump in the road, my 4 year old daughter said one day, this is a bumpy car daddy, the trasmission takes a while to down shift when coming up to a stop sign then giving it gas right away there is a big hesitation, the bed is to small, could be a little longer, and my shifter and 4x4 shifters wonder all over the cab, real loose........my steering wheel came crooked.......but other than those problems it has been an awesome car...........

What A Feeling!
By Stasho on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the truck one year old with 34,000kms on it. Compared it with a Tundra but found the 4 doors on the Tacoma much easier to use. Don't recall having this much fun driving any other vehicle! Interior comfy, but without frills. Powertrain is a beauty with legendary Toyota reliability.

More than I ever expected!
By RevMoCash on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Paid 13k cash for my loaded pickup, included custom snug-top w/ bed-rug 3k alone! Dropped 800 more into 60k factory service, and I could not be more satisfied! Purchased from an older guy who never took it off road. The int/ext is in perfect shape! I took it to vegas and made it with 1/4 tank left over! V6 is smooth and powerful: puts my honda and rangers of the past to shame! Int could be more user friendly...but IT IS A TRUCK! I recommend anyone who wants a reliable truck to buy this model, "THIRD PARTY", the dealer price is ludicrous, and just make sure its a sound buy, you'll be glad you did!

A Very Good Truck
By cromboaz on 08/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a very good truck if you are in need of a vehicle that can seat 5 and have a small pick up. Compared to the other trucks that are in its class the Tacoma seems to me to have more interior room than the Dodge and Nissans that I looked at. I am also getting 17/20 mpg.