Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Toyota
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new and now have over 170,000 miles. Dealer maintained with the largest expense being a catalytic converted replacement. No other issues. Have not experienced the dash rattle others have spoken about. Is a great truck and hope to get another 170,000 miles out of it. I have always had great experiences with the dealer maintenance departments.

Dependability - just keeps going and going.

Sexy Tacoma
By Styles

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car, it's unbelievable, my only complaint is the clock location, you're better off looking at your phone or watch, it's like under the steering wheel and you'll get into an accident trying to find it. My only complaint about it is the fuel economy, it's ok, I get about 240 on the tank but it seems like the gauge empties pretty quickly. I'm sure it's amazing for a truck. My main advice to anyone looking to get one of these is go with the v6 and a prerunner, it's much higher up than it seems and I love the horsepower and the feel of the ride. You won't be let down.

Definitely the v-6, this puppy is fast.

Move the clock. Better fuel efficiency would make this truck dominate the market, that's it.

The Best!
By grbarnard

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 21k, now 125k in 1 3/4 yrs. Excellent truck, beat on it and it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

Durability

Better gas mileage.

4 Door Taco Driven Hard
By Kris

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Most versatile vehicle I've ever owned!! Huge back seat for a mid-size truck. I'm 6' tall and I fit back there. Very, very reliable!!! I abuse this truck and it takes every bit of it. 118,000 miles only work done is new brake pads, tires, and o2 sensors. Very usable truck. I drive it on the highway every day, go off-road on weekends, and tow my boat regularly. Great truck period.

Lots of ground clearance, huge back seat, good towing capacity, and excellent brakes. Realiability/durability is top notch.

Better fuel economy (I average 18 mpg). Put the clock where you can actually see it while driving and go back to 15" wheels instead of 16" (tires are much less expensive and more options for 15"). A deeper and longer bed would be nice.

THE BEST
By dave

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been thoroughly happy with this car. Although the back seat is not exactly spacious, it is great to have a spot for an extra person or a bunch of extra stuff. You can actually fit quite a bit of stuff back there.

• SUV