Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Most Helpful|
Recommend to Anyone
By kinnywayne

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very happy with my purchase. Bought it used. Took it to the Outer Banks, NC and rolled all over the beach. 4WD and power through the sand very surprising, considering I bought the 4 cyl. Good size and easy to park unlike some of the other trucks in its class (not real bulky but still rugged looking.) Would definitley recommend this vehicle to everyone.

Favorite Features

The sound system is good along with the interior. Love the 4WD and get decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Can't see the clock unless you duck your head. A little more room in the Ext cab.

200,000 mile report (Automatic Trans) SR5
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted to report that the Tacoma has reached the 200,000 mile marker. Normal maintenance so far: belts, timing belt, water pump, and cat converter. Oil changes performed at 3000 miles every 3000 miles. Truck runs great. Body and interior holding out great. I do take care to keep it clean and waxed. Dome light has failed (constantly burns them out) and one light for the 'fan' switch has failed- I have not replaced. Miles are mostly highway and the truck has not been off-roaded. I hope to be able to write a 300,000 mile review. No rattles to date! Great truck so far. Couple of more years and maybe I will have gotten my monies worth outta it.

Favorite Features

Appearance, power, handling. Ride is stiff.

Love it
By Gregg

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it used but with transferable warranty, great right? Never had to use the warranty. Bought a fully loaded Tacoma, off road package, tow package. I put duel exhaust on, cold air intake, throttle body spacer. This truck has more power and better fuel mileage now. Don't do much off roading but the times I have I was very impressed. One time I was looking at a piece of remote property in the winter on a small single car dirt road with nowhere to turn around, I literlly slid down a hill hoping there was another way out, nope. The 4x4 shot me back up the hill with ease. I really love this truck. I have never had a single problem with it in 5 years.

Favorite Features

The 4x4 ability, this truck is awesome off road. Lots of power, great with towing things. Bullet proof engine. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Suggested Improvements

Clock in bad position, that's it.

Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

V6 Prerunner
By Doug Mummertz

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The V6 engine in the Tacoma Prerunner makes this a spunky vehicle to drive. V6 is a smooth running engine with the torque necessary to carry or pull those weekend loads. Extra cab model gives the owner that additional storage space behind the seats which is definitely a convenience worth getting. Interior design is good except for the clock location. Toyota has met it's usual standards in quality and reliability. Optional TRD package allows the driver to select differential lock at slow speeds which is definitely helpful in slippery driving. Tacoma is an all around well built truck.

Favorite Features

Prerunner is a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Differential lock has helped me to get out of slippery snow in the winter but in my opinion opting to put the V6 into a Tacoma is the smartest thing I could have done.

Suggested Improvements

Tacoma extra cab model access would be improved if a third door was incorporated behind the driver's door. As is the driver must slide the seat fully forward to have access to the cab behind the seats. Clock location could also be improved.