Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 56 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Goes great in the mud and snow.

I wish it got better gas mileage. Also, the tailgate should be built a little stronger (it is kind of flimsy).

Just lost my '01 Tacoma
By William Stuart

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Tacoma just got totalled with 118,000 miles. Bought it used in 2002 with only 7,000 miles. Added 37,000 miles per year. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Was hoping to drive it for another 3 years or aprox 250,000 miles. I feel she would have got there. Started using synthetic oil @ 100,000 miles.

CD player and Overdrive on/off switch

Lumbar Seat; I drive a lot.

The best small truck
By jm

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a big truck, but its good for hauling furniture, lumber, mulch, and still have some comfort inside. So far, nothing other than regular service has been needed, other than tires. There's room behind the seat for a fair bit of stuff, too. There's even a locking ring for a car seat in the Xtra cab, but I don't know - it looks like that might be a tight fit.

Reliability. By this time, in my chevy, I had replaced the alternator 2X, battery, cylinder head (!). In my Tacoma I've only replaced the tires, plus regular maintenance.

If you buy one, and the tires slip in the rain, get a new set of tires. I haven't slipped once since I bought a better set of tires.

01 Toyota Tacoma
By Chad Simmons

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this vehicle. The appearance alone is worth the price; however, the reliability and power greatly increase the satisfaction. I would recommend this vehicle to all midsize truck owners.

V6 Prerunner
By Doug Mummertz

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The V6 engine in the Tacoma Prerunner
makes this a spunky vehicle to drive.
V6 is a smooth running engine with the
torque necessary to carry or pull
those weekend loads. Extra cab model
gives the owner that additional
storage space behind the seats which
is definitely a convenience worth
getting. Interior design is good
except for the clock location. Toyota
has met it's usual standards in
quality and reliability. Optional TRD
package allows the driver to select
differential lock at slow speeds which
is definitely helpful in slippery
driving. Tacoma is an all around well
built truck.

Prerunner is a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Differential lock has helped me to get out of slippery snow in the winter but in my opinion opting to put the V6 into a Tacoma is the smartest thing I could have done.

Tacoma extra cab model access would be improved if a third door was incorporated behind the driver's door. As is the driver must slide the seat fully forward to have access to the cab behind the seats. Clock location could also be improved.