Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

The Best
By adammc

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck was a graduation gift from my parents and they couldn't have made a better choice. I have owned a 91 and 93 toyota tacoma, both 4x4, and they have become my favorite trucks. I drive my truck hard, using the 4X4 on a regular basis and I have yet to have a problem. The off-road capability is unmatched by anything I have come across yet. It is a simple truck that can't be beat!

Off-road capability, ruggedness, reliability

Better fuel economy, more space behind bench seat

Best truck money can buy
By Best truck out there

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have drove tacomas all my life and this is the best to date. I do a lot of 4 wheelin and this truck will beat any jeep. I never have to worry about anything mechanical, ever. This truck is solid. I have big tires and a lift and it still runs strong at 103,000 miles on the clock. I had a chevy truck that was a pile of junk at 100,000. You cant even compare the two. Toyota is in a league of its own. I plan on driving this truck for decades to come. Great truck.

keeps on going, never dies. Looks awesome.

None

I love this truck
By Scott

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have used this truck extensively offroad, mostly desert driving. Swapped stock shocks (I ruined them very quickly) for Bilsteins, huge difference. This truck performs extremely well offroad if not driven beyond its limits, yet still maintains a quality ride on-road for a 4x4. The only problem I've had is the cruise control stopped working around 40,000 miles. I have also used it since new as a tow vehicle for a desert race car and even though beyond capacity, am still impressed with how well it tows. The rear leaves are starting to sag, but only because of overloading. I plan to keep this truck forever. Toyota fan for life!

5-speed transmission with 2.7 liter performs amazingly well. Shift on the fly 4-wheel drive is also a fantastic feature. I cannot say enough about how well this truck works offroad. I consider it to be the best looking Toyota truck ever made.

Stock shock absorbers were very weak. Gas mileage should be better for a 4-cyl. Clock placement is horrible. Inner tailgate could have been made sturdier. Headlight lenses have gotten somewhat opaque.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Gas mileage.

Leather option.

It's been a pleasure
By AdamE

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Well I'm selling my truck after three great years (only because I've decided to become a sedan guy). I could not be happier with my Tacoma over the years. Got regular oil changes and that was it for the whole three years. No mechanical problems ever.