2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
THE BEST
By dave on 09/26/06 07:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been thoroughly happy with this car. Although the back seat is not exactly spacious, it is great to have a spot for an extra person or a bunch of extra stuff. You can actually fit quite a bit of stuff back there.

Super Truck
By Racin Rus on 11/15/05 08:19 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have own this truck for 4 years now and still love it. The sporty lines are awesome and the drivability is great and has plenty of ponies to get around people when I need to go. Handling is the best feature on this truck. I would reccommend this truck to anyone looking for a fun to drive small truck. Only draw-back is I am 6'4" and could use more headroom, but tilt the seat back a little and I make it work.

Best truck to date for ownership
By Southerngator on 08/10/05 19:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Fun truck to drive, great gas mileage for the horse power to weight ratio w/ the 2.7 four cylinder engine. Wife would love to steal it from me if she had the chance! Best investment for the reliability & quality, only had to change out the org. set tires w/ normal maintenance. I purchased the truck second hand from the local dealer, (after searching the web), got a great deal! Third door would have been nice addition, missing fm my model, but I still would recommend it!

S-runner 2001
By Switchblade Sue on 07/30/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck only a week. I LOVE it! Great power even without the supercharger and i have gotten many compliments on it already. I find the hand brake to be very dated and the interior design to be very basic but even with these downfalls, i find it to be a great truck!

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman on 07/26/05 09:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

Just lost my '01 Tacoma
By William Stuart on 07/22/05 21:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Tacoma just got totalled with 118,000 miles. Bought it used in 2002 with only 7,000 miles. Added 37,000 miles per year. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Was hoping to drive it for another 3 years or aprox 250,000 miles. I feel she would have got there. Started using synthetic oil @ 100,000 miles.

The best small truck
By jm on 04/09/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a big truck, but its good for hauling furniture, lumber, mulch, and still have some comfort inside. So far, nothing other than regular service has been needed, other than tires. There's room behind the seat for a fair bit of stuff, too. There's even a locking ring for a car seat in the Xtra cab, but I don't know - it looks like that might be a tight fit.

01 Toyota Tacoma
By Chad Simmons on 03/09/05 14:16 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed owning and driving this vehicle. The appearance alone is worth the price; however, the reliability and power greatly increase the satisfaction. I would recommend this vehicle to all midsize truck owners.

V6 Prerunner
By Doug Mummertz on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The V6 engine in the Tacoma Prerunner makes this a spunky vehicle to drive. V6 is a smooth running engine with the torque necessary to carry or pull those weekend loads. Extra cab model gives the owner that additional storage space behind the seats which is definitely a convenience worth getting. Interior design is good except for the clock location. Toyota has met it's usual standards in quality and reliability. Optional TRD package allows the driver to select differential lock at slow speeds which is definitely helpful in slippery driving. Tacoma is an all around well built truck.

Recommend to Anyone
By kinnywayne on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very happy with my purchase. Bought it used. Took it to the Outer Banks, NC and rolled all over the beach. 4WD and power through the sand very surprising, considering I bought the 4 cyl. Good size and easy to park unlike some of the other trucks in its class (not real bulky but still rugged looking.) Would definitley recommend this vehicle to everyone.