Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good but not great
By DD

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

First of all, let me say this has been a really good truck, so if this sounds like a negative review, these are relatively minor points. Gas mileage has been a disappointment for a V6: 15- 17 combined city/highway. I have a bit of a lead foot, but still, when I see full-size Fords and Chevys advertising 20 mpg with V8s, I cringe. Also, not as sure-footed as I'd like in snow and ice. Interior: The rubber inserts have all cracked and fallen out of the cup holders. And last, despite fastidious care, my rear chrome bumper has started to rust. Those negatives aside, this truck has gone all over with poise and confidence. Also, your picture's wrong; 2001 models had a different grille.

Toyota reliability, has allowed me to drive this truck from Pennsylvania to North Dakota to Alabama to Florida with no fear of breakdown. No rattles, no drama, no suspense, it just goes.

Third door would be nice for loading groceries, etc. Clock placement should be up on dash, not buried under steering wheel. My next truck will probably seat 4.

Class of it's own
By accelrviii

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I drove mostly American made pickups while in high school. After driving one of these Toyota pickups, I will never own anything else. It's really a no brainer. Looks, performance and yes untouched reliability put it way above the rest. I have 135,000 miles on mine and no problems. Toyota will never have financial troubles when they make trucks like these! These trucks will be around for ever.

Reliability, comfort, looks, unmatched four wheel drive ability

None

Hit 200,000 miles today
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Hit the 200K mark today. What a great vehicle so far. No major problems to date. Vehicle is well maintained with all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealers.

Easy to work on

None since this is an older model. Have not driven the newer Tacomas.

Great truck
By pam

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use this truck for my gardening business and it has never failed.

Everybody who sees it says "nice truck." You can turn off the airbag so children can sit in the front.

More comfortable back seats

Love it
By Gregg

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it used but with transferable warranty, great right? Never had to use the warranty. Bought a fully loaded Tacoma, off road package, tow package. I put duel exhaust on, cold air intake, throttle body spacer. This truck has more power and better fuel mileage now. Don't do much off roading but the times I have I was very impressed. One time I was looking at a piece of remote property in the winter on a small single car dirt road with nowhere to turn around, I literlly slid down a hill hoping there was another way out, nope. The 4x4 shot me back up the hill with ease. I really love this truck. I have never had a single problem with it in 5 years.

The 4x4 ability, this truck is awesome off road. Lots of power, great with towing things. Bullet proof engine. Would buy another in a heart beat.

Clock in bad position, that's it.