2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Update from OKHunter

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Update from OKHunter
By OKHunter on

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review written not long after I bought the truck. Now have almost 130K miles. Did the normal timing chain/water pump at around 90K, and have had all the scheduled maintenance performed. Only problem I thought was a design flaw was the front ball joints, which wore out at about 60K miles, due to poorly designed seals. Also replaced the stock muffler w/ a Flowmaster, and the stock air filter w/ a K&N cold air induction kit; that raised the mileage to about 19 mpg combined. I plan to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, then I'm going to put 'em back on and drive it until they fall off again. If you want a solid truck for the long haul, look no further.

Build quality of everything. Engine hasn't lost a step, tranny is strong, interior is holding up well, not too many rattles. I can still climb whatever trees I want in this thing.

Anything I would add here they've already incorporated into the newer models. If you want a strong used truck for less than $10K, go find one of these babies that has been well maintained. You won't be sorry.