2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great buy
By Chris on 01/03/07 13:37 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Almost 100,000 miles with no problems other than a new battery and new tires. I love my Toyota. Great buy and I plan to hold on to my truck for a long time.

The Best!
By grbarnard on 12/04/06 09:07 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought at 21k, now 125k in 1 3/4 yrs. Excellent truck, beat on it and it keeps on going like the Energizer Bunny.

4 Door Taco Driven Hard
By Kris on 10/23/06 05:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Most versatile vehicle I've ever owned!! Huge back seat for a mid-size truck. I'm 6' tall and I fit back there. Very, very reliable!!! I abuse this truck and it takes every bit of it. 118,000 miles only work done is new brake pads, tires, and o2 sensors. Very usable truck. I drive it on the highway every day, go off-road on weekends, and tow my boat regularly. Great truck period.

5 years and going
By Donald S on 09/15/06 17:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy the vehicle except that it tends to run lean and knock a bit upon light acceleration. Maybe that is why I get 20-21 mpg. Probably will get another one when I give this to my youngest son to drive. I still receive compliments from people about how nice it looks.

One hell-of-an off roader
By TejasYOTA on 05/01/06 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

In stock form this truck is very offroad capable. Good balance and grip and plenty of power. Only main gripe is the lack of a 5 speed when it was introduced and the damn placement of the digital clock. The electronic rear diff lock works great too. I only wish they offered a front locker too and offer the driver side grab handle on the a-pillar. It was deleted from the LIMITED versions. What marketing bozo thought of that?!

Great Truck!
By ocnfront on 12/19/05 22:21 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

A bullet proof truck!! This is the best truck that I have every driven. I use it daily to drive to work and it always a great ride. The prerunner crew cab is the only way to go! My wife will drive it in a hot minute.

Toyota has a new permanent customer
By wutroad on 12/08/05 21:07 PM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this truck, bought new. It was totalled in 9/2005 with 148129 miles on it. I was towing a car with a dolly, a tire blew, i fishtailed, and rolled twice at 65 mph and walked away with a seat-belt bruise. The officers on scene almost didn't believe that i was even in the vehicle, as i was not injured. During the 4 years I had it, I traveled extensively throughout the US (42 States), Canada and Mexico-- all weather and terrain. I never once felt that my Tacoma was going to fail me. I changed the oil and did other maintenance religiously. I do not recommend the do-it-yourselfer attempt to replace the timing belt without any prior experience. Replaced with 2003 AccessCab 4x4, equally happy.

Great truck
By kevin on 08/23/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my double cab tacoma new in June of 2001. It has never been in the shop for a repair. Currently have 85000 miles on it. The seats feel a little flatter than they used to, but other than that, I love it.

Wife took over my truck!
By Rod on 07/17/05 20:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

In my previous review, I mentioned longer life for brake rotors, come to find out the front brakes were under excessive load and not balanced with the back brakes. Problem has been fixed and I am proud to report smooth stops! The truck is great and I plan on keeping it until it drops dead around 500,000 miles. Truck has plenty of room for your "stuff", SUV owners should consider this truck as an alternative with more room in the back (-w-camper shell). It is easier to park in the smaller spaces at the shopping center, I traded a size pickup for this reason got tired of backing up and trying again to get into a spot.

Totally Awesome!
By Rod on 04/14/05 17:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 pre-runner is nothing more than amazing. I have over 70,000 miles with no mechanical problems at all. I guess this is why you never see the '01 to '04 on a used car lot. Nobody sells them once they have one!