Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Swiss Army Knife
By looseshoes

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all -mostly-. Hauls 4 or 5, carries cargo, gets decent mileage, super-dependable. Not too sporting on the road, but not expected really. I get about 21 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Has 70k miles and only problem was I had to have power steering pump replaced - under warranty.

Versatility and mpg for what it is. Had good factory tires that lasted until 60k for me.

Dashboard clock is in a weird place so you cannot see it easily. Harsh ride.

She's my baby!
By Carl B

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota pick up; I've owned 1 1986 1/2 ton and now 2 Tacomas. My 2001 Tacoma Pre-runner Doublecab is still as exciting to drive as the day I drove it off the lot. Fuel economy with the 2.7L 4 cylinder (which isn't offered in the new Tacoma Pre-Runner Doublecabs by the way) is absolutely outstanding (around 25 to 28 hwy and 20 to 22 city) if I don't drive like a maniac. I'll neve give up this truck; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Looks (She still looks great after 7 years and 98000 miles), fuel economy and overall comfort.

None.

Best Truck (Vehicle) Ever Owned
By polliar1

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Besides trying to boost the value of my Toyota Tacoma, I thought I'd let you know this is by far the best truck I've ever owned. 82K miles and still drives better than the day I purchased this used vehicle.

Gas mileage.

Leather option.

Still solid as the day I bought it
By MCJ

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first pickup and I was drawn to it by the practical mix of "clean" and "dirty" space. It's big enough for most tasks, but still easy (and extremely fun!) to drive. Even though it has over 100K miles, it still feels as solid as the day I bought it (used with 15K). I'm still amazed at how well it has held its value. When I got it, I found I had a lot of new friends which proves the saying: "The only thing better than having a truck is having a friend with a truck."

Versatility and solid feel when driving. Great in the snow, but would be better with ABS option that I did not get. Looks great clean or dirty. Good power for hauling whatever. Previous owner had installed rubberized bed liner. Dependability has been second to none.

Bed is a bit short and gas mileage isn't stellar. Stereo isn't great, even after upgrading speakers and head unit. There isn't a lot of storage space in the cab.

It's been great
By JDWOITON

2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 6 years and it's held up very well. I've added a matching color camper shell on it. It well serves my two biggest hobbies, music and camping. I can pack a bunch of equipment in it and keep it secure wherever I go. It's been wrecked twice and the value of the truck was always too high to total it.

Reliablity, I live in a suburban area where a car is vital to everything.

My biggest complaint is the turning radius with a double cab wheelbase, it's hard to park in tight spaces. I'm also often hitting the curb on a tight right-hand turn into traffic. I think later models are bigger, but I feel slightly cramped in the drivers seat and I'm an average build 6 feet tall.