Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Goes great in the mud and snow.

I wish it got better gas mileage. Also, the tailgate should be built a little stronger (it is kind of flimsy).

Just lost my '01 Tacoma
By William Stuart

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Tacoma just got totalled with 118,000 miles. Bought it used in 2002 with only 7,000 miles. Added 37,000 miles per year. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Was hoping to drive it for another 3 years or aprox 250,000 miles. I feel she would have got there. Started using synthetic oil @ 100,000 miles.

CD player and Overdrive on/off switch

Lumbar Seat; I drive a lot.

Wife took over my truck!
By Rod

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

In my previous review, I mentioned longer life for brake rotors, come to find out the front brakes were under excessive load and not balanced with the back brakes. Problem has been fixed and I am proud to report smooth stops! The truck is great and I plan on keeping it until it drops dead around 500,000 miles. Truck has plenty of room for your "stuff", SUV owners should consider this truck as an alternative with more room in the back (-w-camper shell). It is easier to park in the smaller spaces at the shopping center, I traded a size pickup for this reason got tired of backing up and trying again to get into a spot.

Locking differential, cupholders 6, gas mileage (20), fits in the garage, towing capacity 5000 lbs., room for 5 and still go to the home improvement store for lumber.

I considered buying the new 2005 Tacoma Double Cab for my wife but it won't fit in my garage, so we will just have to share the 2001 Double Cab and who gets to it first in the morning to go to work. I guess I get to drive her car again...

Totally Awesome!
By Rod

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My 2001 pre-runner is nothing more than amazing. I have over 70,000 miles with no mechanical problems at all. I guess this is why you never see the '01 to '04 on a used car lot. Nobody sells them once they have one!

Ground Clearance and locking differential. Multiple cup holders for your stuff.

Improve life of Brake Rotors

The best small truck
By jm

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Its not a big truck, but its good for hauling furniture, lumber, mulch, and still have some comfort inside. So far, nothing other than regular service has been needed, other than tires. There's room behind the seat for a fair bit of stuff, too. There's even a locking ring for a car seat in the Xtra cab, but I don't know - it looks like that might be a tight fit.

Reliability. By this time, in my chevy, I had replaced the alternator 2X, battery, cylinder head (!). In my Tacoma I've only replaced the tires, plus regular maintenance.

If you buy one, and the tires slip in the rain, get a new set of tires. I haven't slipped once since I bought a better set of tires.