2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Love it!
By rvkelly on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is a complete pleasure to drive. It combines the comfort of a car and the rugedness of a workhorse. I highly recommend for anyone looking to own a truck he can work with but also save soem fuel money on.

Tacoma 4x4
By jonusko on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second Toyota truck. My first lasted 10 years and it was still going strong when I sold it. This new truck has all of the features that I wanted in my old one. I have already driven it to Alaska and down to the tip of Baja. I have the confidence that it will get me where I want to go.

great safe car
By acf2001 on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

husband totaled this truck one week ago, flipped in the air 2x and smashed it up front to back! Amazingly, he walked away from the site with only a cut on his finger and on his ear - we were amazed! We were very happy with the truck and hadn't had any problems until the wreck. The value of the vehicle held up well ( or insurance company very generous - what's the chance?). We are buying another just like it.

Red Toy
By First Time Owner on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with my Tacoma 2001 Prerunner Extra Cab 2.7 liter 4cyl. 2wd. Have had some problems all under warranty and fixed to date, rattle in the dash was the most annoying found there to be a service bulletin on this and had it repaired turned out be the defroster box under the dash on the passengers side had to tear apart dash insulate it and put new defroster box in and some foam padding problem taken care of. have had both seatbelts replaced and a big problem after just 6,000 miles somthing with the bushings were worn in the front and it caused premature wear on one of the tires which was replaced after alot of grief.

Disappointed. First and last Toyota. :(
By 909george on 12/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased at 18 sold at 19 years old. Toyota needs to learn a lot from these trucks. Underpowered gas hog comes to mind. Dash rattles and poor dealer service are the norm. Truck is overpriced and overated. Constant small "non toyota-like" problems occur. Water gets in lamps and windows. Fix your mistakes Toyota.

overrated
By george d on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

for the price the truck is a total rip off. i have a dash rattle that will not quit. broken sway bar link which the dealer will not fix. my corner lenses are taking in water every time it rains. the toyota factory bedliner is destroying the paint on my bed. my rear end "clunks" every time the truck is put back into gear because of what toyota and many other loyalists call "axle wrap". the timing belt idler pully is chirping now. all in all im extremely displeased with the truck as a whole besides it offroad ability. never will toyota see another penny from me. early age to lose a customer (18 years old). :(

Think of it as an investment
By tacoma, california on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd Tacoma I've had. I'm keeping this one as long as it keeps running. If you are looking for a small truck (S10, Frontier, Ranger,etc) do not make the mistake of buying anything but Toyota. Reliability and resale value do not even come close with the others. The first one I had I sold because it didn't have the xtracab. It had 34k on it and never one problem. The new one has 13k and is much nicer than the first (3-in-1 stereo is a great standard feature). The gas mileage is great and the ride is much better than the 97 I used to have.

I Like it overall
By PJED on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have had problems with the rubber between the plastic fenders and the body coming off. The dealer has fixed this twice, now with some new kind of glue.Other problems are, a rattle somewhere around the back seats?, the clock needs to be moved, the engine seems to cranks longer than it should after sitting for a while. Now for the biggie. The 4x4 shift lever is positioned so that my right knee is constantly resting on it. This is extremely annoying because of the vibration coming through it. This alone makes me want to get rid of the truck but I cannot find anything that I can trust for dependability but a Toyota.

It meets my needs.
By Diana on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I am very happy with my pre-runner. It has been flawless in the 10K I have owned it. Actually I'm not a big off road person, but I have hauled some big items with this truck, and for my small needs the truck is perfect. Good gas milage, low maintenance, and a great value for many years. It also hauls the kids and equipment fine. Then I'll give it to my son and buy another.

Good solid truck
By Toyfan on 09/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I boutght mine new about a year and a half ago and still love it. Fun to drive, excellent performance and the mileage really isn't bad to me. I get over 20 on the highway and about 15 around town.