Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Can't buy a better truck
By Mark

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

One solid reliable truck. I had an '89 2dr toyota truck with 180K and only changed a fuel pump. When I upgraded to the 2001 I couldn't be happier. I could use a little more leg room. I've take it out in some heavy snows and tried to get it stuck, can't do it!

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

more leg room, tighten up the suspension a hair

S-runner 2001
By Switchblade Sue

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 2WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this truck only a week. I LOVE it! Great power even without the supercharger and i have gotten many compliments on it already. I find the hand brake to be very dated and the interior design to be very basic but even with these downfalls, i find it to be a great truck!

Favorite Features

over-all exterior look of the truck!

Suggested Improvements

updated interior, foot parking brake, third door

Tacoma experience thus far......
By issisteelman

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

My Toyota Tacoma is just over 4 years old. I only have 32,000 miles on it so far but the experience has been a good one. I live in the sticks in Northern NH and spend a lot of time on logging roads so many of the 32K miles have been hard ones. The only minor problem I've experienced thus far is that my e- brakes recently locked up. I'm also a little dissapointed in the gas mileage for a 4 cylinder (only getting about 17 mpg in town and 21 mpg on the highway). However, so far the truck is completely reliable and has lived up to my expectations regarding Toyota quality. I use my truck in all conditions to haul wood, to trailer my snowmachine, to trailer my 4-wheeler and it runs great!

Favorite Features

Reliable, reliable, reliable. Goes great in the mud and snow.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it got better gas mileage. Also, the tailgate should be built a little stronger (it is kind of flimsy).

Just lost my '01 Tacoma
By William Stuart

2001 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Xtracab 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 Tacoma just got totalled with 118,000 miles. Bought it used in 2002 with only 7,000 miles. Added 37,000 miles per year. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. Was hoping to drive it for another 3 years or aprox 250,000 miles. I feel she would have got there. Started using synthetic oil @ 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

CD player and Overdrive on/off switch

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar Seat; I drive a lot.

Wife took over my truck!
By Rod

2001 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

In my previous review, I mentioned longer life for brake rotors, come to find out the front brakes were under excessive load and not balanced with the back brakes. Problem has been fixed and I am proud to report smooth stops! The truck is great and I plan on keeping it until it drops dead around 500,000 miles. Truck has plenty of room for your "stuff", SUV owners should consider this truck as an alternative with more room in the back (-w-camper shell). It is easier to park in the smaller spaces at the shopping center, I traded a size pickup for this reason got tired of backing up and trying again to get into a spot.

Favorite Features

Locking differential, cupholders 6, gas mileage (20), fits in the garage, towing capacity 5000 lbs., room for 5 and still go to the home improvement store for lumber.

Suggested Improvements

I considered buying the new 2005 Tacoma Double Cab for my wife but it won't fit in my garage, so we will just have to share the 2001 Double Cab and who gets to it first in the morning to go to work. I guess I get to drive her car again...