2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Trouble Filling Gas Tank
By chris335 on 03/24/13 09:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the truck since it was new 2001.It's been a very reliable truck.The problem I've been having recently is that when I go to put gas in the pump keeps cutting off.Takes forever get a few dollars in.I've heard it may be the charcoal canister.Anybody have any answers on this?

Good but not great
By DD on 03/03/09 07:32 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

First of all, let me say this has been a really good truck, so if this sounds like a negative review, these are relatively minor points. Gas mileage has been a disappointment for a V6: 15- 17 combined city/highway. I have a bit of a lead foot, but still, when I see full-size Fords and Chevys advertising 20 mpg with V8s, I cringe. Also, not as sure-footed as I'd like in snow and ice. Interior: The rubber inserts have all cracked and fallen out of the cup holders. And last, despite fastidious care, my rear chrome bumper has started to rust. Those negatives aside, this truck has gone all over with poise and confidence. Also, your picture's wrong; 2001 models had a different grille.

Great truck
By pam on 06/10/08 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use this truck for my gardening business and it has never failed.

Best truck to date for ownership
By Southerngator on 08/10/05 19:53 PM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Fun truck to drive, great gas mileage for the horse power to weight ratio w/ the 2.7 four cylinder engine. Wife would love to steal it from me if she had the chance! Best investment for the reliability & quality, only had to change out the org. set tires w/ normal maintenance. I purchased the truck second hand from the local dealer, (after searching the web), got a great deal! Third door would have been nice addition, missing fm my model, but I still would recommend it!

Recommend to Anyone
By kinnywayne on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Very happy with my purchase. Bought it used. Took it to the Outer Banks, NC and rolled all over the beach. 4WD and power through the sand very surprising, considering I bought the 4 cyl. Good size and easy to park unlike some of the other trucks in its class (not real bulky but still rugged looking.) Would definitley recommend this vehicle to everyone.

Red Toy
By First Time Owner on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with my Tacoma 2001 Prerunner Extra Cab 2.7 liter 4cyl. 2wd. Have had some problems all under warranty and fixed to date, rattle in the dash was the most annoying found there to be a service bulletin on this and had it repaired turned out be the defroster box under the dash on the passengers side had to tear apart dash insulate it and put new defroster box in and some foam padding problem taken care of. have had both seatbelts replaced and a big problem after just 6,000 miles somthing with the bushings were worn in the front and it caused premature wear on one of the tires which was replaced after alot of grief.

Great Truck
By rwarner399 on 05/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner 2WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

It is a fun truck to drive.