Used 2001 Toyota Tacoma V6 Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2001 Tacoma Xtra Cab 3.4L 4x4 5-Speed: Best Truck Ever
By lucas2718

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma, which I bought on September 11, 2001, and named Liberty, interestingly enough, has been the toughest and most reliable vehicle of which I have ever known. It has nearly 170,000 miles, and aside from the usual replacement of tires, filters, and brake pads, the only maintenence I've ever had done was preventative (timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and spark plugs at 100,000 miles). Aside from that, EVERYTHING is original, including the clutch, which I'm hard on, and even the freon for the A/C! Unbelievable! In short, the truck still drives like the day I bought it, it hardly burns a drop of oil, and if this old girl doesn't make it to 250,000 miles, I'll eat my hat!

200,000 mile report (Automatic Trans) SR5
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Wanted to report that the Tacoma has reached the 200,000 mile marker. Normal maintenance so far: belts, timing belt, water pump, and cat converter. Oil changes performed at 3000 miles every 3000 miles. Truck runs great. Body and interior holding out great. I do take care to keep it clean and waxed. Dome light has failed (constantly burns them out) and one light for the 'fan' switch has failed- I have not replaced. Miles are mostly highway and the truck has not been off-roaded. I hope to be able to write a 300,000 mile review. No rattles to date! Great truck so far. Couple of more years and maybe I will have gotten my monies worth outta it.

Appearance, power, handling. Ride is stiff.

Love my Little Filly!
By Cher

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

My Tacoma can go just about anywhere, in any kind of weather! :) Tacomas are the most eye-catching small pickup available, with an outstanding reliability record. I have hauled heavy loads of furniture and appliances with no problems. Makes for an outstanding second vehicle. Not very family oriented though...

Sharp looking little truck-excellent both on/off road. Adequate strength in the engine.

Not comfortable on long trips. Left foot/leg doesn't have much room and the driver ends up shifting a lot in their seat. Driver's door likes to shut on me before I am out of the vehicle.

Class of it's own
By accelrviii

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I drove mostly American made pickups while in high school. After driving one of these Toyota pickups, I will never own anything else. It's really a no brainer. Looks, performance and yes untouched reliability put it way above the rest. I have 135,000 miles on mine and no problems. Toyota will never have financial troubles when they make trucks like these! These trucks will be around for ever.

Reliability, comfort, looks, unmatched four wheel drive ability

None

Hit 200,000 miles today
By cst010

2001 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Hit the 200K mark today. What a great vehicle so far. No major problems to date. Vehicle is well maintained with all scheduled maintenance performed by the dealers.

Easy to work on

None since this is an older model. Have not driven the newer Tacomas.